Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spector euro 4, modulus q4, or thumb 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jesse55, Mar 10, 2003.

1. jesse55

jesse55

Jul 3, 2002
    well im trying to decide the next bass i wanna get. i mostly play punk and slap. the choices right now are a spector euro, a modulus q4 or a thumb 4. i really like my ns2000q4 spector. is the euro much nicer? what kinda sounds can i expect from these basses? hope ya can help me. thanks

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    The Euro is an EXCELLENT bass! I would definately recommend you spend the few extra $$$ on the neck-thru model- it sounds much better than the bolt-on IMO. Spectors are generally thought of as a good slap bass. The Czech models have a nice clean tone that some would say sounds more "modern". The tone lends itself well to aggressive style of music, but is very versatile and get the punchy bottoms to the crisp highs. My Q5 gets pretty good slap tone, but is nothign next to the Czech made models. I would recommend going to a music store and trying out some of the Euros if you can. Generally you can find a NT euro in nice shape for around $1,000 or a tad more on ebay. I usually try stuff out in the store then find the same thing online for cheaper once i know what i want...save lots O' cash that way. :D I haven't played the Thumb 4, only the corvette (which is a heavier bass than I'd like), and i am yet to play a modulus Q bass. Good luck in your search!:bassist:

3. i would get a modulus q4 without hesitation, but thats just cuz its my dream bass... ;)

4. Modulus Q4 with Bart p/ups and Bart NTMB preamp. You won't regret it.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I originally bought a Modulus Quantum 4 and was never 100% happy, I finally decided to trade it for something better. So, I went down to my local Warwick dealer to trade in the Modulus for a Thumb neck-through 4-string. I was dismayed when I found out that they no longer carried Warwick. They then told me of this great bass called Spector. Reluctantly, I tried it out. And I liked it. And I traded my Modulus for that.

Since that day, I've come across several Warwicks, including at least a dozen or so Thumb Basses. Didn't like a single one.

My recommendation? Go for the Spector.:D

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Ditto

7. Think about this:

A Warwick in a PUNK band? Uh... :rolleyes:

:D

Go with the Spector

8. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Go Spector guy...Modulus and Warwick are nice, but you want flexibility, you gotta get a Spector!

9. if you are in a punk band get the modulus, just cuz they rock... spectors dont seem to fit with a punk band.. i dont know what it is but they just dont... if you are thinking of like hard rock, slap, funk, jazz, or an all around bass id say go for the warwick thumb 4.... as long as you can afford the
    neck-thru thumb 4..... id most definately go for the modulus though... :bassist:

10. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Refering to your NS-2000-Q5 as simply a Q5 is rather confussing. I, and most people here, would associate you saying Q5 as meaning a Modulus Quantum 5. Im not trying to put you down in anyway its just something i found confussing as im sure others have/will aswell. :)

11. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Well, this is quite the thread! Some of the opinions so far are a bit skewed, but I'll lay it down as I am extremely familiar with all of these.

1) The Spectors are sweet basses. They use EMGs now with the aguilar preamp (and the slightly older ones use EMG PREs). This will get you a nice clear and crisp tone that is wonderful for both styles of play. They are the "original" Warwick, as the Streamer model was a copy of the NS-2 (standard Spector shape). There are few options to consider for this bass, so stock is how they come and stock is GREAT in these. A friend uses one that replaced his Musicman (THE slap, funk bass). He won't go back.

2) Modulus Q4's are a different beast than the Spector or the Wick. They use a bolt on graphite neck with a 35" scale length. This gives the strings more tension when tuned to 440 than a standard 34" scale. The graphite + 35" scale is ultra clear in tone. The pickups are where you run into options that could sway you either way. EMG equipped are going to be snappy, like the Spector. Bart equipped will be woodier, like the Warwick. You can also opt for different preamps and numbers of pickups. These options could easily win or lose it for you in the end. I'll review using EMG since that's what I know.

3) Warwick Thumb, I'm going to assume a Bolt-on (price range). They use a 2 band EQ like the Spector. They are 34" scale, operate active/passive, and are 24 frets. They have a unique voice that works for punk (Thursday uses one), but isn't always on the punk scene. They look a bit different than the norm, but who's to say what is norm?

It's gonna be up to your own ear to decide, but here are my best thoughts. Euro Spector and Korean spector are very different when it comes down to it. The Euro has a neckthru and a chunky neck. Don't think because you like one, you'll like the other. It's a different bass, all together (no "Airplane!" jokes)
    The Mod and Warwick have slimmer necks, but the difference in scale is a factor to contemplate.
    These would all be great for punk. I have been using a Modulus Quantum with EMGs in a rock/punk band for 2 years and I pull out some of the sickest Matt Freeman/Fat Mike/Mark Hoppus (shut up! Using the tone, not liking the band) tones with ease. The clarity and long neck assure a cutting, clear punk tone. That's not to say I don't funk it up! The Mod is a FUNKY bass!!! The Spector is gonna be very similar, but a bit easier to play with a shorter scale. They also sustain like mad with a neck thru and EMGs. The Warwick is nice as well, but I'd opt for the Spector or Mod depending on taste. Wick quality is slipping and I think the other brands tone will beat it out for what you want.

1) Spector
    2) Modulus (close second)
    3) Warwick

12. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    I've owned both Modulus and Spectors (the Czech neck-throughs), and out of those two, I MUCH prefer the Spectors. The sound of the Spector is just so much better, in my opinion.

I haven't tried a Thumb, but I really do want to check them out.

You really need to try them all and see which works best for you.

Good luck!

13. For punk..get a plectrum and a p bass...

P's sound good slapped

14. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Actually, the current Spectors are shipping with the new Spector Tone circuit...haven't heard it myself yet, but from the reports being posted it's not bad at all!

15. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Okay, I was mistaken. They used to use Aguilar and long ago (1997-ish) they used EMG.

Spector is making their own active systems? Who's been developing it?

16. what the hell is a plectrum????

17. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
  18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Go Spector.(Did I invent that phase?)

Don't think. just go do it.

19. PollyBass