Spector Euro 4 Owners...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ECO, Dec 7, 2004.

1. ECO

Dec 7, 2004
    Hi all,

I am about tp buy a Spector Euro 4 in Blue/Black but have a couple of questions...

The guitar is being discounted at several LA Big box guitar shops. $750-$800. These are not the newer LX models but are new units.

The guitar I used has noticable hum/hiss with the treble tone turned all the way up thru a $200 Crate and Fender amps in the store. Is this normal for a Spector? The hiss/hum noise might also be present when the bass tone (lower right) knob is turned all the way up as well.

Even though I am just a beginner (not even a newbie yet) I loved the sound of the Spector and thought it was better than every other bass I tried, which included Bongos, Sterlings and Warwicks with passive pick-ups. To my untrained ears it was punchier and richer.

The LX models (they only had natural finish in stock) are approx $200 more. I am not that fond of the natural finish but do any of you think the $200 is worth it? Do you think it has less treble hiss/hum?

Also, one guy that reviewed the unit he bought said it was a 'Long Scale Length' and that it took some getting used to. I could not tell from his post if he had a 5 string Euro which has a 35" neck. Is that what people refer to as 'long scale length' or is it something else all togehter.

Also, the distance between octaves (two strings down and two frets back) seemed a tad further on the Spector than on a Sterling. Could that be right or are all 34" inch necks about the same distance between frets?

The bongo I played seemed to be a lot more forgiving (less string rumble when you don't hit the fret in the right spot) but the sound was not as punchy. Does that seem right?

I also got to play a G&L semi-hollow (around $1400) that I liked a lot. I though the pick-ups were cool.

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks, ECO
  2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    It's a great bass. Any bass with the EQ cranked will have hiss and hum.
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Is the Euro you are referring to the NS-CRFM (gold hardware, large inlays, flamed maple body, neck-through)? If so, then that is an excellent price and I would go for it.

I play a 5 string Euro and through my peavey MINX110 I do get some hiss when teh treble is cranked all the way- same thign with the old ns/2000 Q5 I used to have. The problem shoudl be minimal to non-existant through aquality amp rig- they tend to hiss through cheaper combo amps from my experience.

Only the 5 strings come in a long scale (35"). Technically, the fret spacing on all basses of teh same scale length should be exactly the same, however, not all manufacturers always make their "standard" scale length EXACTLY 34"- sometimes it is more like 33 1/2" or 34 1/2", however, the difference in distance from fret to fret is negligable in most cases. It may feel like more of a stretch from one bass to another due to the placement of the cutaway on the body, the bridge position on the body, and the neck inset. These kind of variables can change the centering of the bass and make it more awkward for some or more comfortable for others.

The natural finish is purely preferance, and Spector charges a markup from teh factory for natural finishes for reasons that are unknown to me. Unless you really like the natural look, I don't think it is worth it-they are worth no more than the other colors on the used market as well.

From my playing experience, the Euro Spectors are punchier sounding that bongos, but not quite as gritty- they have slightly more hi-fi tone that tends to be a little easier to shape. Stringrays Sterlings and Bongos are excellent basses as well- they just offer a different sound palette.

The Spector was probably less forgiving because of the set-up. If teh action was set very low, then it would require that you play with a light touch and precise finger placement. This is how I set my basses up, as it gives me the least hand fatigue and I find it easier to play quickly. You can have the action adjusted to your taste on any quality bass. If you are serious about buying it, the store woudl probably adjust it for you.
  4. picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    I don't know the exact dimensions, but the reason hitting the octave felt different was most likely because of different fingerboard widths, I couldn't tell from your post exactly what you meant, but I think that's what it was.
  5. ECO

Dec 7, 2004
    Yes, I guess that must be it. The strings on the Spector as set a bit further apart than the Sterling or Bongo, it seems to me. On the Spector Euro, both the E and G strings are set a bit closer to the edge than most other basses I saw.

And yes, the Spector Euro had gold hardware, large inlays, flamed maple body, neck-through strings. I think the LX model has the alder body with the flame top. On Spector's website is says the full retail of the LX is $100 cheaper that the full retail of the regular Euro 4.

Anyone else's thougths would also be a really big help to me.

6. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Hi Eco,

Amongst my Spector collection I own a blue Euro NSCRFM with P/Js, a tiger-wood topped Euro LX with P/J's and a red Euro NSCR with J/J's. :bassist:

That is a great price for a NSCRFM in blue/black! :hyper: Spectors have a ton of punch and growl/grind within their woods/electronics and a small amount of hiss is inherent in such a powerful EQ system. You are hearing it more because you are close up to a lower quality combo. This is not a problem.... :)

The Euro LX is $200 more in price but not necessarily in quality. It is just a newer model with slightly different wood configurations in it's build.

The reason the NSCRFM is cheaper at the store is because it has been reduced to make way for the new LX models. It is not a reflection on the quality of the bass (which is superb), it is simply a marketing measure...

Go get that Spector! :hyper: :bassist:
  7. ECO

Dec 7, 2004
    Thanks for the advice. I did pick up the bass yesterday. It had a mangled input jack which I took to The Guitar Doctor in Fountain Valley, CA, today and had repaired. Even he remarked what a great sounding instrument it was.

I am one very lucky guy.

Again, my thanks,

ECO :bassist:
  8. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Welcome to the 'owners' club... make yourself comfortable! :p :bassist: :D