Spector Euro 4 VS Musicman Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Jan 5, 2005.

1. What is your opinion on whats better? and in what ways? A Spector Euro 4 or a Musicman Sterling I'm going to chek them out also so I'd like to know where I can find the these basses (would sam ash or guitar center carry them?) Finally, Im 13 and prefer smaller necks and play Rock (Black Sabbath ,Led Zeppelin,Thin Lizzy, Jimi Hendrix) Heavy Metal (Iron Maiden, EARLY Metallica [Killem'all master of puppets] and Slap style (RHCP, Marcus Miller, Stu Hamm) thanks for all your help on which to choose a Sterling or Euro, thanks.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmm, how funny..the 2 basses i had to decide between.
    Wanna know which i chose and bought? Musicman Sterling.
    Why? Neck more comfortable, liked the classic design of it...idk it called to me :bag: Both are great basses, but i just couldnt really picture myself playing a Euro in my head for some reason, yet i could picture myself playing a MM.
  3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    i wish i had these two basses to choose from when i was 13. what kinda amp do you have? this will my decision easier.
  4. In my experience, the Spector is better. I've played a few Musicman basses, and found the tone to be a bit 'sterile?'........maybe it's just my ears, but to me the spector sounds best. As for feel, the Musicman basses aint bad at all, but neither are the Spectors. Looking at the rnage of music you play, I'd have to say the Spector, as it has a P/J configuration which is very very versatile and suits many styles, whereas the Sterling has only one pickup(although it does have a coil switch gadget).
  5. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Sterile? *** are you playing through, a Sansui stereo receiver?

Play a MM through an Ampeg rig. Be manly.
  6. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    It's really a matter of personal taste. As you could suspect by my name, I've chosen to take the Spector. For me, the countoured body shape is extremely comfortable and balances very well. The EMG P/J configuration allows for an infinite amount of tone that baby can pump out. I'm not one for extremely wide and chunky necks and this one fits my hands perfectly. Not to mention IMHO it's just plain beautiful. I would suggest that you play each of them and judge for yourself. They're both exceptional instruments. :hyper:
  7. It's my opinion. I like the Bongo's tone, but not the Stingray or Sterling. And I don't use Ampeg, I use Ashdown.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You didnt play it through an ashdown though did ya?
  9. well im turning 14 and getting a job that pays 7.50 an hour up the street from me and I'm going to buy a really high end bass. I'm not just some spoiled brat. Thats why. thanks
  10. No, I didnt. I played a similarly euipped bass(a Corvette FNA Jazzmanm, with a big musicman style pickup), and it really was weedy. I picked up my spector, and it nearly shook the shop to the ground. PHAT.
  11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    the question remains, what amp?
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just cause it has a simiiar pickup configuration doesnt mean crap.
  13. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I stand by my original statement.
  14. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    They are both sweet basses. I like Spectors because it has two pups, but MM are great too. Play em both pick out which one you like.
  15. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Cool, i used to deal newspaper 2times a month and got 175$.
    I'm 14years to but i'm from sweden, wich i could choose between basses in this price range.
  16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I played a Sterling for a few years in a soul band. They sound and play great and they're built to take abuse.

I wanted to change my tone a bit once I started playing clubs again and I bought a Czech-made Spector NS4CRFM, which is the forerunner to the Euro-series. I personally prefer the Spector but you'll have to decide for yourself on which bass feels and sounds better to you.

IMO you've chosen two really nice basses. They're both easy to play, the Sterling is a bit smaller overall. The Sterling's neck is very similar to a Jazz bass neck.

Some people say the Euro's neck is like a baseball bat, but I find it really easy to play. I also like how balanced the Spector feels. Soundwise the Sterling is a bit more raw sounding, the Spector sounds more refined.

Good luck, Art
  17. It all breaks down to whether you want to hear throaty punch or snarly grind when you play.
    I've had a few Spectors, and they're great--super clean sound, easy to use, and built like bricks. When I've torn into them, they've hurt me, not me hurting them, so they'll stand up to long use.
    Never owned a Sterling, but the few I've played have been well-made and versatile, and from what I've been told also stand up very well to long use.
    Between these two, there is no better bass. There's just better for you. Play both, if at all possible, and decide then. The last thing you should do is spend your hard-earned $7.50 an hour (been there, guy) based on who has the best ad writers or the biggest following on TB.
    PS--While bovinehost and myself may not agree on basses (he plays a toilet seat with strings, I prefer something that resembles a blood-engorged tick with strings), we concur on amps: Ampeg.
    Buy an amp made in a country where you live, for chrissakes. I don't know any TBers from China, and I'm sure they're very nice, but there are more immediate concerns right now. My endorsement of Czech Spectors aside (and I've spoken with Big Stu and company enough times to know he runs a good operation) buying domestic is not a bad thing. Quality only hurts once.
  18. If you prefer smaller necks, the Spector might not be for you. But, make sure you try before you buy. 'Cause there are other ergonomical factors than neck size that determines how playable a bass is, IME.
    And when it comes to sound, I think the Spector might suit the kind of music you play a bit better than the Sterling. So, you really need to try both basses. They're both excellent, but in different ways.

And if you want to know, given the choice, I'd pick up the Sterling (because of percieved playability and looks), though I actually like Stingrays more. But that's just me.
  19. I found the results quite the opposite of Nickthebassist's opinion, if i were to compare the two.

The all maple bodied spectors coupled with EMG's can be too 'sterile' for some.. of course im into that kinda thing.

But i will testify to the fact that those pups, coupled with the Aggie Preamp can really shake rooms.

Either way, these both excellent basses, quality control from these companies seem to be really up there, unlike others at the same price point i wont name.

Anywhoo, let us know what amp you have, planning to buy next!
  20. I don't know what the body wood on my Spector is, never checked, don't care, it just sounds very punchy, has lots of nice tones, and is nice and small, and has a nice body shape.