Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Euro 4 vs. ReBop4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selta, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, well, I'm having quite a difficult time with this decision. I've played both, and liked them. I liked the neck-thru Euro 4 better, but is it really worth me paying that much more for it? Also, how do these withstand time? I've only gotten to play these for about 15 minutes each, but like the Euro 4, as previously stated. Has anyone out here have any trouble with either or these models, or know of any pros n cons at all? I think I'm more set on the ReBop 4, being cheaper n just as comfortable n everything, but, I wanted to get a professional opinion from you gurus! :D. Anyhow, it's going to be a bit before I get one, so I'm prolly going to keep asking questions about them from time to time. Here's a short list of what I liked about each though:
    Euro 4:
    Active pups, active pre, American too. (EMG pups, Spector pre)
    Neck-thru construction
    Gold hardware :D
    ReBop4 4:
    Passive pups,active pre, American EMGs.
    Felt better constructed, but perhaps not.
    Humbucker pups (as compared to P/Js)
    Liekd the bridge better also...

So yeah, that's just my view on them....tell me what you people think!

Ray

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    the ReBop is a bolt-on though.

I've tried both, I like both.

There's a used red NS5CR at www.bassnw.com for under a grand.

There's a 4-string US NS2 for $1799.

That's a big difference.

Compare the US bolt-ons to the Rebop bolt-ons.
    You can probably pick up a new US bolt-on for around $1400.

What kind of deal are you getting on the ReBop?

There's one 4 stringer at Bass NW that has a retail price of $1299.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I can get the Rebop 4 for $650. Less than 1/2 the price for a US Bolt on.

I like that NS over at BassNW, but I don't have that much money right now. Nor will I anytime soon. Though I like it, unless they'll have it in a few months, I'll have to pass.

Thanks for the info though Zulu. If you had to pick one, as I do, which do you think you'd like better, ReBop or the Euro 4? Thanks!

Ray

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    They are both GREAT basses. IMO, the Neck Thru Czech bass felt better over all. I like the neck ALOT better. The neck on the Re-Bob felt very large & chunky (very Warwick like). I think they both sound incredible. I think they will both last a long time. I've owned a few neck-thru Czech Spectors & I put them thru hell!!!!

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'd prefer the US bolt-on, which is about the same price as the Czechtor. I prefer a natural neck over a glossy one right now. Plus, for what I play, I like the dynamics I get from a bolt-on (at least mine). To me, it's a bit punchier. Slightly less sustain. That's fine for my style. I wouldn't pay more for a neck-through unless it were a fretless.

I don't know what p'ups are in a US bolt-on, but the ones I tried out were a super deal.

If I were strapped for coin though, I'd get a used Czechtor before I get a rebop. Probably a bit more trade-in value.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Where do I find info the the Czech built ones? I don't see them on their site anywhere. I would go to the store where I played them at, but it's a ways away, and I don't wanna end up playing more and buying none. Anyone else got an opinion on these?

Ray

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well as far as czechs go. If you like neck thru design with a EMG P and J set (Or humbuckers if you get a fiver or sixer). then get the neck thru.

If you like Bolt-On construction, or don't have enough money for a neck thru, get the bolt on.

I have PLAYED both, and they both sounded amazing to me. I was floored by the Re-Bops, I thought they were going to be sub par. Also, get one.

Anyone.

As long as it's a Spector.

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Thanks for the link Nino!

Polly, so you're tellin' me that one's as good as the other, besides the obvious differences? If so, I think in mid-summer I'll be picking up a ReBop4!

Thanks all
    Ray

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm saying you can't go wrong with either. And right, besides the obvious, they should be the same.

I myself like the humbucker EMG setup, but I play 4 strings.

The Re-Bop came out not to long after that.....See how the Spector gods show and bring us love?

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I tend to be here and there when it comes to how many strings I play, but lately, it's been mostly fourers, so that's what I'm going for. I may be going to the shop later today to ask the guy if I can have one put on a type of layaway thing. Had a nice black stain, I was hping for blue, but hey, I like black too. Thanks for all the help again, and if anyone out there has any other comments / ideas, feel free to tell! :D

Ray

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Ok, let's throw in the REX 4 (the non-USA one), what do you guys like about these? I like the way it looks (espically the holoflash), but haven't gotten to play one...any ideas? Can anyone compare it to the ReBop 4? Thanks!

Ray

13. the rebop sounds much better... i have 3 ns2000's (2 5 strings and a 4) and its the same bass... same neck thru construction and electronics although when i breifly played the rex i thought the neck was a little thinner... in any case the rebop i have has an 18 volt aguilar preamp as opposed to the 9 volt preamp on the ns2000/rex... before i played the rebop i thought the ns2000 was awesome (dont get me wrong it still sounds great) but the rebop gives you more defined highs and mids... especially when you slap... playing them back to back you really appreciate the difference... i used to say that the ns2000 spoiled me for all other basses and now the rebop has done the same for me... it feels like it was made with a whole lot of quality... better than the ns2000 which is great also... the only things i dont like about it are the neck (thicker and wider than the 2000) and the way it sits in my lap... a little off balance compared to the 2000 but a dream compared to the rex... the rex is way off balance if its sitting in your lap... especially if you are on a small stool at sam ash... you have to contort your body just to keep it from sliding away... anyway i hope this helps

14. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have 2 czechs.

IMO aside from the US originals, The czechs are the same 'traditional Spector' bass that both spector and kramer/spector were building throughout the 80's and early 90's.
    I've played the rebops, and while they do play/sound nice, it isn't near the traditional spector I've known.

My vote is obviously the czechs.

As far as durability...they are built like tanks too. They are my road basses, and take the punishment.

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've never owned a bolt on Spector. Technically I've owned 5 Spectors - although I've since sold 3! I still have in my possession an NS5CR and a REX five string in Holoflash!

I've had this NS5CR for 3 years, it's immaculate - I've looked after it well.

The REX has been in a car crash with me - the car was rear ended and written off - the bass was in the boot (trunk?). Fortuntately the case it was in saved it from destruction, it had some gouges in the finish(not the front fortunately) and some frets had some damage - but my local tech sorted that out pretty well!

I was also impressed with the quality of the Korean basses - not too far from the Czech stuff!

Another thing to think about - if the one you are buying has the 9v EMG pre-amp, a soldering iron, 5 mins and about $1 will help you turn it into an 18v pre-amp (the $1 is for the battery terminal). I modded both of mine to 18v, it was well worth it!

Flip side of the coin, I doubt that if you go bolt on or neck thru you'll get a bad one - it's a Spector either way!

16. actually i was surprised how good the rebop is... i wasnt expecting much because i had a ns2000q4 (bolt on) for a while and it sounded like ass compared to the neck thrus that i had... it sounded really thin and felt really cheaply made