1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

spector euro 4 with tonepump: pickup height??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by panazza, Sep 8, 2008.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    hi!

I would like to know how you set the pickup height on your spector basses.

my euro 4 with P - J EMGs and tonepump preamp has such an hot signal that I can't use any stompbox with it... any overdrive I tried turned instantly into a fuzz because of the wild output of this bass... even with the gain set at minimum...

2. On my Euro 5 which has the Tonepump, I have the pickups set around 8mm below the strings. I run volume pots at no more than 1/2 (usually around 1/3) of maximum as the signal is very hot. The output is ridiculous!

3. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I got a decent (lower) output with the neck (P) pickup set 1 cm from the E string... but I guess the signal/noise ratio could be bad keeping the pickup so low... I read that EMG pickups need to be very close to the strings to sound good but to my ears it sounds ok...

4. I've not read that about EMG's. I have a P bass with them and I have that set around 8mm too. I'm used to the output on the Spector now and turning down corrects it, so it's not a problem for me. Great bass to play and sounds incredible.

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I've never measured them, but mine are the stock height and they sound great...well as good as they can with the Tonepump.

6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Ever try turning down the volume a hair? :D

Personally, I'd leave it. You've got more tonal variation in that one knob than some people have in their whole setup.

7. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I am also considering to pull away the tonepump... I never move the eq knobs from their 0 point.... I find a boost only eq completely useless.

that should tame the wild output, right?