1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector Euro 4lx vs. Lakland Osbourne or Jones(US

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wallshakerpbass, Oct 25, 2009.

1. wallshakerpbass

wallshakerpbass

Jun 18, 2009
    I posted a thread a few days ago about what bass I should get with $3k budget. From the suggestions I got (which matched with my preferences), the two I got the most were the Spector and the Lakland.

I know there's a lot of Lakland and Spector lovers out there, and I don't have either immediately available for testing, so what do you think I should go with if I like an agressive, in-your-face kind of tone, the Spector Euro neck-thru, or the US Lakland?:help:

2. For an aggressive tone, I think you should stick with the bolt-on neck basses. There is a lot more growl in them to begin with. The Euro 4lx is overall thick sounding, but can be really growly depending on the strings and amp setup. The Lakland's in gneral have more twang to them and will get you the aggressive tone without much effort - roundwound strings on the Lakland's are a good match.

If you want a thick punchy midrange with decent growl, the Spector Euro series will do it.

3. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

I think you better go play these basses because everyone's definition of "aggressive" and "growl" is way different, and these are 2 completely different animals which Im sure was covered in your last thread. Lakland DJ's, to me, are not anywhere as aggressive as a Spector Euro...so get to the store

4. MN_Bass

MN_Bass

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Spectors have some growl, especially with the emgs. Maybe get one through MF and try it out, and return it if you don't like it. I don't think they carry many US Lakland models though.

5. Joe Black

Joe Black

Jun 17, 2006
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Basson
    Chop your budget in half and a get a plain ole Music Man Stingray. Punch. Growl. Aggressive. At least that's the role my MM plays in my collection.

I have a LAKLAND DJ 4 and a LAKLAND Duck Dunn and both are fairly polite in the grand scheme of bass tones, with the Duck being the more gritty of the two.

Haven't tried the LAK JO, but heard good things.

6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    A new Euro 4LX is about $1900...well under your budget and I'm sure you can find a like-new used one for around $1.1k. It is an amazingly well-built bass that is on par with or exceeds the quality of any other bass in the price range. The Lakland is a great bass as well, but if you look around the net a bit you'll find that Laklands are generally thought to have a "polite" and "laid-back" tone, that takes on more of a supporting role in a band setting whereas Spectors define aggresive and modern tone.

You'll find arguments over the Stingray vs. Spector, but in all honesty they are incomparable. Both are quality instruments but the Stingrays have a more vintage appearance and are bottom-heavy with a trebley top end. The Spectors provide a solid bottom-end and glassy top-end, but what makes them shine is their midrange clarity (some prefer that, some don't). It really just comes down to what you like in terms of sound and appearance. I think the Spector would be lighter as well.

7. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I'm not trying to be a Spector-or-die kind of guy here but to be honest with ya, that didn't sound very aggressive at all. Uriah's style was very percussive, but the bass itself was typical jazz bass fare.

Here's what the Spector can provide in a hard rock/metal setting: (Hard to hear the bass tone but it's a Euro 5LX)