1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector Euro 5 - Looking to make a significant change

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BeorhtDana, Feb 11, 2016.

1. BeorhtDana

BeorhtDana

Sep 7, 2014
    I have a Spector Euro 5 that, as far as feel and playibility goes, I love. The tone just isn't quite right though. It has an EMG 2 band preamp and what I assume are EMG 40DC pickups. I feel like they just bring out the wrong frequencies, the treble seems strident and the mid-range inarticulate. Not sure what might be the best bet in terms of replacement, what will make the biggest difference? Preamp or Pickups? I also haven't played a lot of other basses so I don't have a lot of experience with other pickups. A set of custom spaced Nordstrand Big Singles seem like a good possibility from what I have read but I haven't been able to find a Youtube vid of anyone with those installed in a Spector.

Throw any advice you have my way. I know this is kind of a rambling post.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Big Singles will be thinner and a LOT brighter...just like a huge jazz pickup.

If it were me I'd drop some Aguilar DCB pickups and an OPB-3 preamp in it.

phillybass101 likes this.
  3. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I had similar dilemma when I did my pickup quest for my Spector Rebop.

Through many pickup changes I realized that I did not care for double coil pickups. What worked for me are a pair of Nordstrand Big Splits (great and beefy sounding pickups).

In your place I would start with replacing DCs with EMG 40 P5 + J or double P5. (Cheapest variant)

4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Yup Aggie DCB's and an OBP3.

5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    What types of strings have you tried?

I agree the easiest and possibly least expensive would to be an "EMG 40 P5 + J" combo (you can always switch them around to suit[maybe even use one of the 40DC's in the combo]) and the "OBP3" to help with your mids.
    You may feel differently about the 40DC's once you have mid control and maybe a 40P5 in the neck position.

6. BeorhtDana

BeorhtDana

Sep 7, 2014
    I've tried DR, d'Addario, and Rotosounds. Nickel and steel. It's not so much that there is to much treble, it's more that the quality of the treble seems harsh. I think I probably will get at 40P and try it in both positions.

7. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    I played a Modulus Q5 from 1994-2010 and went through some pickup changes. The EMG P was their default at the time of purchase, but I switched to DC's when I was wanting more bottom- yes the DCs have more bottom, but extended treble as well. Very "wide" response and too much so for my ears- a good pickup for waking up an inherently dull bass.

I eventually settled on the CS series, which sounded a little more balanced between the upper miss and trebles.

BUT... The suggestions for trying the Aguilar pu's+pre is something I will echo because it will be a noticeable departure from what many describe as the baked-in EMG tone

8. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    The 40CS is supposed to smooth the top end as well, but I haven't yet needed to try one to compare.

9. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Get an adjustable Tonepump

10. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    OP - have you tried adjusting the height of the pickups to the strings? With EMG's, I have noticed the slightest adjustment can result in a completely different sound. Especially with the DC's on Spectors.

11. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    I have an older NS5CR with Delano SBCs and the Delano preamp. It sounds pretty cool. It's smoother and more laid back than an NS5 with the US18V preamp. The Delano's definitely don't have what I'd call a strident top end. Sounds great with the preamp bypassed, too.

12. Jaume2

Jaume2

Dec 6, 2014
    I also have a Euro 5. Couldn't stand the pre amp and the emg' were just too clangy. I got a set of Seymour Duncan NYC soap bars and went passive. Great sound....full and earthy sounding but with a good growl. And no more stinkin batteries.

13. BeorhtDana

BeorhtDana

Sep 7, 2014
    I liked the sound of those from clip I had heard, but I was of the understanding that the string spacing was too wide. Is that not the case?

Thanks,
    Dana

14. evermelon

evermelon

Apr 20, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Here a pic for visual reference of a Spector Rebop 5 DLX with NYCs, it has the same string spacing as a Euro 5. Looks fine to me, but I bet it sounds even better.

image.

15. javadog

javadog

Mar 13, 2010
    OK, who can answer this one? I have a 9 year old Spector NS5H2 with EMG CS40-TW pickups and a 9V OBP-3. The tone is way too trebly and clanky. I want to put the NYCs in but want to know---- would it be best to have the
    3 way toggle switches for each pickup, and could it be set up to run passive or active (doesn't the preamp need to run off a battery, or in passive mode is the preamp bypassed altogether )?
    Can the OBP-3 preamp work with the NYCs since they are passive pickups ?

16. Jaume2

Jaume2

Dec 6, 2014
    With the NYC's I found preamp useless and yanked it out. I put push/pull volumes on each to go from series to parallel. At least for me this worked great. Really fat. And I did put in a 3 way toggle.

17. Strung_Low

Strung_Low Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2012
    San Franciskee

I found this post yesterday because i have the same exact issue with my euro. Muddy lows and mids with strident highs. I changed my non trim Tone Pump for an emg BQC, which helped alot, but the problem still exists...which got me thinking about pickups...op, i'm curious what you went with and how you like it. After listening to sound clips i'm leaning toward the aguilar obp3 and dcb's.

18. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    my experience as well. a friend said the same thing with his too. EMG makes some great PU's so I suspect the preamp is the reason.

IIRC-the preamp is boost only which means it's starting point is off; I don't know if that helps.

19. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm a big Spector Fan. I've owned that exact bass. I found the CS are a bit more balanced but with spectors I've found I really prefer the p/j combo better. I've found the tone warmer / richer While still getting plenty of high end.

I've also found that really really love the combo with EMG p/j & the Aguilar OBP - 2 preamp. It keeps the aspects I like about the EMGs & rounds out & softens the harshness.
    Highly recommend combo in a Spector

20. BeorhtDana

BeorhtDana

Sep 7, 2014
    I decided to give Nordstrand's new Big Blades a try. Still deciding on preamp. Probably either Aggy or Nord.