1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector Euro 5 thoughts and questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by growler571, Oct 27, 2009.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Hello Fellow Bassists. I am thinkin on getting a Spector Euro XL 5 string as my primary bass. I am in a classic, hard rock band. I am just wondering how these basses sound? Are they good for hard and classic rock. How do the DC emg Humbuckers sound? Are they pretty versatile with the tone pump preamp. I need to be able to get a fat punchy tone, but yet cut through to. Also is the B string nice and focused? What do you folks think about this Bass? Another bass i am considering is the G&L L2500. How does the Spector Euro 5 compare to the G&L, which has the better B string? All info and comments welcome

Sincerely Growler571

2. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Can't go wrong with a Euro. They have lots of horse power and even better clarity of sound through a good amp. You wont be dissappointed. You will need to sit with it and find all the subtle and not so subtle range of tones available on a Euro. I have an LX5 and 6. Great for classic rock, even better for letting your gui**** player know your there. They like D'Addario strings to. Again, you will be very impressed.

3. I Have an older/modded one (bought 2nd hand) with the emg preamp in it. I do miss having a mid knob, but I guess there's always the amp for that ;-)

It's quite a heavy bass but it sits very comfortably

I play heavy rock too and compete against a 7-string guitarist. I find the tone to be quite modern and aggressive with very full "thunderous" lows if you boost the pre. I dunno if maybe it's just my setup or the elixer strings I'm using at the moment, but I struggle to get enough articulation out of the higher strings when doing runs, It can also get quite "clicky" if I boost the treble but doesn't quite fix my articulation issue

I'll be taking it into studio this week against 2 warwicks and a US fender so we shall see if it makes the grade...

4. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    It's the Elixer strings. Put a set of D'Addario XL's on it and you'll hear a big difference.

5. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    It's a solid instrument and worth every cent. They're great for hard rock and even though a Fender is the standard for classic rock, they are great for that too. You're probably not going to be able to dial up a P-bass or Jazz bass sound but I was in a band with an ol' drummer who was one of the sound-guys for Aerosmith in the 80's and 90's. And when I bought my first Spector and brought it to practice he said it was the best bass tone he's ever heard. Period.

I think they're more versatile than people give them credit for and they cut through like a mother! :D You're not going to find a better B-string in the business either! It's legendary...:eek:

6. I hope so... I'll be putting on some new warwick strings for studio tomorrow so I guess that will tell the difference :)

hopefully I can get the sound I'm looking for otherwise I'll have to turn to one of my other basses. I was kinda looking forward to having a different sound on this new album

UPDATE: the new strings fixed the issue and the bass sounded great in studio :)
    more info in the other thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=592876&page=2