1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Spector Euro 5LX with EMG CS-X Pickups and BQC Preamp

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jmlee, May 13, 2015.

1. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Price:
    Now $1000
    Strings:
    Spector Euro 5LX 5-string bass in natural oil finish, made in the Czech republic. This bass is the production version of Spector's USA handcrafted NS-5XL, and [according to Spector] this particular instrument was made in 2004. I'm the second owner.

35 inch scale with curly maple top, slice of walnut and alder body (less weight than solid maple wings). Graphite reinforced rock maple neck. 24 fret rosewood finger board with crown mother of pearl inlays. Width at nut is 1.81". Gold plated hardware with locking zinc brass bridge. Original EMG DC pickups have been replaced with new EMG CS-X pickups that are (to my ears) warmer and have greater dynamic range. [I will include the original DC pickups with the sale, if desired.] The Spector Tone Pump circuit has been replaced with a new EMG BQC preamp which has volume, active pickup blend, stacked treble/bass, and sweepable midrange controls (mid-range freq/gain). It is running at 18V. [The Tone Pump was sold separately and is not available.] Very wide tone-shaping abilities with characteristic EMG clarity. Schaller strap locks.

Condition is excellent aside from some very minor indentations on the back of the instrument. I'll try to take some more photos to capture these. As you can see from the present photos, they're not really visible.

This is a very responsive, punchy instrument that's been gigged only occasionally by me. I'm selling it now to feed my G&L addiction.

Price drop to $1000 plus actual shipping costs. This will be the final price drop.

Comes with original Spector HSC which is in good shape.

SpectorEuro5LX1. SpectorEuro5LX2. SpectorEuro5LX3. SpectorEuro5LX4. SpectorEuro5LX21. SpectorEuro5LX22. SpectorEuro5LX23.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    Matt R and fender68 like this.
  2. Bassmann79

Bassmann79

Mar 7, 2015
    Not bad, not bad...hmmmm....GLWTS

3. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Can we see a shot of the control cavity?

4. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Sure. I'll take one tonight. It's busy in there to get the two 9V batteries in, just doable.

For what it's worth, I'm a biomedical engineering professor by day so a better-than-average electronics tech.

5. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    OK, here's some more pictures of the control cavity and what dings I could document. The wiring is very straightforward thanks to the EMG quick connect system. The first battery sits where it did before. The second is held in place via the control plate, but it's functionally very secure and the headroom with the EMG CS-X pickups and the 18V preamp is tremendous. The dings are all very superficial and actually pre-date me. The beauty of this oil finish is that it takes strong sidelight to see dings at all. The ding pics below are all on the back, save for the third one which is on the lower horn. In practice, one just doesn't see them. I should also note that the back of this bass is strongly curved, really quite elegant, and it sits nicely on the "mature" middle.

SpectorEuro5LX_31. SpectorEuro5LX_32. SpectorEuro5LX_41. SpectorEuro5LX_42. SpectorEuro5LX_43. SpectorEuro5LX_44.

6. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    And here's the case: perfect inside, just a few minor marks on the outside. Mechanically completely sound. [Sorry for the graininess. iPhone in a dim livingroom.]

SpectorEuro5LX_51. SpectorEuro5LX_52.

7. Bassmann79

Bassmann79

Mar 7, 2015
    The more I look, the nicer she looks..how does she sound? Any sound clips for us?

8. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    This bass was my first experience with a Spector bass and I must say that I was quite overwhelmed by the voice and responsiveness of it. I've never had a bass that responds so briskly to what you're trying to do with your hands. Great presence and fullness of tone. With the CS-X's in, the neck pickup can yield a nicely organic quality that works well even in a rootsy setting. The bridge pickup has a real bite to it: really too much, I found, with the DC's in. With the CS-X's in, the bridge pickup is more useable soloed. If you punch up the bottom a bit with the preamp, it yields a kind of driving, mid-forward foundation that I really like—and without any annoying barkiness. The sweepable mid has tremendous plus/minus ability and you can produce some ridiculous tones. I've found that just a little bit is plenty and things sound great with that control pretty much flat. At 35" scale, the B-string is *very* firm and integrated with the other strings—really the best I've had. [Geez...I'm talking myself out of this sale...]

I don't have any intimately recorded soundclips at hand. Here's a clip from a once-a-year pickup band that my university department puts together to play at our annual banquet: all faculty members, and a grad student on violin. Sound isn't great, just picked up with a Sony stereo condensor mic at the video camera location. I'm not sure if the CS-X's were in at this point or not. It's something, anyway. Decemberists.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  9. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Bump for the Victoria Day Weekend.

10. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Tuesday evening bump. If you're interested, shipping stateside CONUS is about $100 U.S., Canadian shipping is about $60 CDN.

11. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Friday bump. Price drop to $1000 plus actual shipping. This is as low as I can go, folks. It's too tempting to keep this if it doesn't contribute significantly to the new G&L.

12. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Sunday bump. This is a great instrument at a nice price, folks.

13. sleevey55

sleevey55 Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    Man, that's super low for that bass...........cant believe that its still here

14. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Puzzles me too. Thanks!

15. Bassmann79

Bassmann79

Mar 7, 2015
    Crazy price for anyone in the market for a Euro5...insane actually. I am stuck on wanting an NS-5 otherwise this would have been gone already.

16. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

Pm'd

17. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    On hold pending payment.

18. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia