Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Euro LX Bubinga

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barebones, Sep 30, 2005.

1. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Hey, all. Right now I am contemplating a major (for me) gear purchase. My first "biggie" in many, many years. Been playing twenty years on the same old Frankenbass, and am now considering committing myself to the next twenty (or thirty... forty...) years of thumpin' da bass. Or perhaps I should just be committed, who knows...

Anyway, through some research I've become interested in the Spector Euro LX series. I have played some regular, all maple Euros in stores, and based on those test drives, as well as things I've read here at talkbass, I believe I would like an LX very well. Complicating the decision ever so slightly, however, is the fact that I've just run across a Euro with a bubinga top online that I absolutely love the look of. I have had some positive experiences with basses made from bubinga, but the dilema is that I do not have the opportunity to try either a standard Euro LX or an LX with bubinga before I buy.

Worst case scenario, if I absolutely hated whatever I buy (not too likely, I don't think) I'm certain I could return it to the dealer--since they are an authorized dealer and this is current stock on hand--for a refund or exchange. But I'd like to solicit everyone's first hand experiences and opinions for my own knowledge and information before I buy. Just want to make as informed a decision as possible before going any further with this.

So here are my specific questions:

Has anyone played a bubinga LX? If so, what did you think? How would you describe the tone? Have you had the opportunity to compare a bubinga model with a Euro or Euro LX side by side? If so, how did they differ?

I did some searches on this subject but couldn't find anything too specific. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, everyone!

Matt

2. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    By the way, I'm looking at 4-stringers. Forgot to mention that.

Matt

3. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Hmm... Looks like I stumped the panel again. No worries, though. I took the plunge! I will soon be able to report on the sound of the 4-string Euro LX with bubinga top, as I now have one on the way to me!

I'm a little nervous. Been playing the same old Frankenbass for the last twenty years or so. I hope the Spector will be worthy of my giving up my security blanket. I've always been a one bass kinda guy, so I hope this will be the one for the next twenty... thirty... forty... years!

I'll keep you all posted.

Matt

4. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Not sure what bass you got, but I have an all bubinga bodied euro. It's the best sounding bass I've owned yet. Has a lot of the growl you hear thrown around with the Warwick comparisons a lot, but I think with the Spector build, the aguilar preamp (in mine at least) and the different pickups, the bass is just amazing. It has a lot of bite, lot of growl to it. I personally love it. If yours is anything like mine is, and you like a thick aggressive tone, you'll love it.

Spectors are pretty dang good regardless anyway.

5. barebones

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    If anyone's curious you can follow this link: http://www.basscentral.com/spector/eurolx.shtml

Scroll down to the Euro LX Bubinga. There's a picture of one like the one I'm getting. Basically it's just like the Euro LX, except the maple top is replaced with bubinga. Then it's an alder back, with a thinner piece of walnut sandwiched between the two.

Your all-bubinga bass sounds very cool, incognito89x. Can't wait to get mine! Should be here Friday!

Matt