Spector Euro LX or Warwick Thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by schmidt, Jan 22, 2005.

1. schmidt

Oct 14, 2003
    After playing on my cheap Bass for a while (2 years) i decided to ditch my Guitars :cool: :bassist: to get the one Bass for me. I want to have only one Bass to cover everything and to not get into any kind of GAS attacks like with guitars :rolleyes: Music i play will be everything besides Funk. I know that each of these Basses has their own signature tone but i like both alot and i think both can be versatile. I'd prefer the Spector over the thumb a little bit but i have a big problem with the new LX line finishes. I highly prefer plain black gloss with gold hardware and simple dot inlays like the earlier Spector Euro series, those just look classy imo. The new finishes and colors dont do anything for me :bawl: Also both old and new Spectors are close to impossible to get in Europe :confused: I dont know of a single shop in the whole country where i could try a Spector. So what to do, just go for an untested LX and get used to the finish or go for the Thumb?
  2. well since you havent naysaid anythign about the thumb, i'd go for the thumb.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    IIRC, Warwicks are both plentiful and much cheaper in Europe than in North America, so I'd say go out and play as many thumbs as you can. Maybe even a used Steamer -- get the NS shape without the hideous finish :p.
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    What kind of thumb? BO or NT? If it's NT, go for that.
  5. schmidt

Oct 14, 2003
    Yup i was talking of the NT Thumb. What about the non-finish on those, do i have to oil it regulary or can i just clean it like a regular poly finish?
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You dont' have to really maintain it. You can wax it, but if you don't it's not going to turn into dust in the middle of a gig. The thumb is a great bass, and IMO the euro sounds a little more sterile.
  7. schmidt

Oct 14, 2003
    I see, i just read through the Warwick manual and it says to wax it once a month, shouldnt be a problem to do that :) What about the Thumb BO, how does its sound compare to the NT? I read it gives less growl. I could only play the BO unamped yet and couldnt notice much of a difference that way.
  8. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Don't dismiss the Spector... the new Euro LX is a superb bass and available throughout Europe... :bassist:

I'm presuming from your name that you are in the Germany/Austria area? If so, here are your Spector distributors/dealers....

Barner Strasse 42
    22765 Hamburg
    Tel: 040-391 155
    Fax: 040-391 156

Freisinger Landstrasse 14
    85748 Garching
    Tel: +49-89-3204499
    Fax: +49-89-3204694
    contact person: Franz

Berliner Strasse 26
    60311 Frankfurt
    Tel: 069-29702970
    Fax: 069-29702980
    e-mail: info@musik-schmidt.de

Linzerstrasse 20-22
    A-1140 Wien AUSTRIA
    Tel: 0043-1-98222323
    Fax: 0043-1-982437530

Hanauer Strasse 91a
    80993 Muenchen
    Tel: 089 - 38 388 416
    Fax: 089 - 397 396
    e-mail: guitars@musicshop.de
    contact person: Klaus

If you are in Switzerland then this is your dealer:-

Postfach 1006
    CH-4123 Allschwil
    Tel: 41-61-486-97-00

Hope this helps... :)
  9. Groovehunter

Dec 3, 2004
    absolutely! don't ever 'not' consider the eurolx - it's such an awesome chunk o wood - believe, I jammed mine in practice tonight and seriously it's tone is deeper than a very deep thing and more vibrant than a very vibrant thing..such a powerful eq system very nice on the ear.

Well I'm a fan anyway, they're lush :) :bassist:
  10. I'd get the Spector :D I really like the new Lx's
  11. slicecom

Oct 19, 2004
    i'd get the spector as well.
  12. RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    I'd go with the Thumb Neck-Through. As a matter of fact, I'll be getting one shortly, unless I change my mind and opt to get a Streamer Stage II.
  13. Groovehunter

Dec 3, 2004
    damn right

spector all the way, although I dabble around on the odd MIA jazz from time to time.

played a show tonight with the euro4lx through an old fender bassman 135, a fender 410, I used a sansamp bddi as my d.i. with a big muff for the warm crunchy bits. what a rumble!! such a powerful bass eq system!

I also like the sound of Fenders, but the Euro lx has got this bright, powerful, ever so clear ring to it which is just music to my ears. The necks are chunky to play, but it's nice to have something to grip imo! the EMGs are just WOW.

I tune down to drop C using (if I remember correctly) 130 100 80 60 it sounds HUGE playing with a pick.

14. LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    I would go for the Thumb, they're badass basses, really growly with lots of different tones........