Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Euro?? NS-2 US?? or NS-4 US??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Limo, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Allright....this is serious, I AAAM going to get a Spector eventually but....... I live in Iceland so I'll have to depend on what others tell me.
    So my question is: What is the main difference in these basses soundwise (not constructionwise) and which one in your opinion is best for hard rock??

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Any of the three will be good for hard rock. All three have very similar tone as well. I am yet to play the US models, but from those that I ahve talked to taht have owned/played them, the Czech model is the best deal for the $ out of all the Spector lines. All three of those basses can dial in a tight, clear, midrange tone and some deep low end. I would pm Nino Brown and ask him- he's owned a plethora of Spectors, I only have one :D

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Dude, Spectors suck.........

I would go for the Euro model. As far as "Hard Rock" goes, and of those spectors would play nicely. Don't be fooled, there is (to me, and many others) very little sound difference between the Czech and USA models. Czech's are much cheaper.

4. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Why do you say they suck??

5. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    thanks for the tip:D

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    You don't know me very well, do you.

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Polly was being sarcastic, limo. He's argueably the biggest Spector fanatic in these forums and just said that cause he's jealous and doesn't won one yet ;). I say i am cause I actually own one :p.
    But ya, the Czech would probably eb the way to go- for the price its much better than the USA models. Sounds almost as nice at 1/2- 1/3 the cost.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Polly worships at the altar of Spector!

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    he's just kidding around, Polly is an avid Spector advocate, so he was just being facetious with the 'sucks' comment

I'll side with those who recommend the Czech models, get a Czech neck-through, you will NOT be disappointed

great bang for the buck, and the sound difference vs. the US models is negligible IMO

however...I should qualify that statement by saying I have not yet heard the new preamp being installed in the Czech Spectors - starting this year, I believe Spector abandoned the Aguilar pre in favor of a preamp bearing their own name

10. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I don't have you know you to know that you gave me an info about Spector that Euro Spectors was better in value that USA (soundwise) but I want to hear your opinion why you think Spectors suck.

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uhhhhhhh.

12. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    OK, fair enough.

About the aguilar electronics on the Euro and the Spector electronics on the USA..... there must be some difference in sound... right??

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'd recommend finding a used (2002 or earlier) Euro NT model with the Aguilar pre. The Aggie OBP-1 is the better pre IMO, plus used Czechs are fairly easy to find online. You should be able to get a Czech NT with the Aggie pre. for around $1100 on ebay or somethin like that.

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    DAMNIT! Ive played more than I can count, though. Holding out for that Czech.......

Everyday! I'm in charge of burning incense...... And blessing people with Spector love;)

Thank you! It was obviously a joke. Sorry to confuse you Limo, get any of those basses, just make sure it's a Spector. They are tanks, tone machines, and just plain beautiful. They are by far, in my baised "Polly" opinion, the best basses made, in any of the price ranges. Ever.

15. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    To be honest, I thought I had seen you posting about Spectors in a good way before so I was a bit confused, oh and by the way I didn't say I was buying a Spector soon, I said eventually so we are in the same position;)

16. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I'll 2nd the recommendation on getting a 2002 (or earlier) Czech neck-through. The reason being that the Aguilar pre is known to be a great match in this bass, but I don't think any of us has had much experience with the Spector preamp being used now. I haven't heard it yet, but I hope they did a good job with it. I also like the older EMG preamps, but I think the Aguilar has a better sound overall.

17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Right. While the new pre might be good, hell, maybe even BETTER, we don't know for sure. We DO know that the OBP-1 was AWESOME. So instead of just buying a brand new one to "see" if it's any good, just get one you know is good, and for a cheaper price at that!

EDIT: Also, the new "9v Spector tone circut" is just that, 9 volts. the Aguilar pre was 18 volts. It doesn't HAVE to be a bad thing,,,,,but it just might be.....

I also heard they were going to do some price hiking......and they started making guitars again.....I'm very scared for the future of Spector......

18. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Is there room for more? :) :D

19. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    COME JOIN IN THE LOVE AND PEACE THAT IS SPECTOR! This is a huge temple, and they are looking for followers all the time. come,,, yes, come
    *Polly clothed in white is holding door open and moving hand to come inside*

20. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I have a Dean edge 4 improv, czech-thru; I've heard they are made at the same factory and are an almost identical bass--can anyone confirm that or compare the spector w/ this Dean model? thanks