1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector Euro NS-4CR vs G&L L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nate Plays Bass, Jun 9, 2011.

1. I have an opportunity to get a Spector Euro NS4CR for $650 off of craigslist. It's in excellent condition and has aftermarket Gotoh tuners (drop d also). But I've had my eyes on a USA GandL L-2000 (or an l-1500 or ASAT hollowbody) for a while. Which one is better and more versatile and is the Spector a good deal at $650? Thanks, Nate.

2. I don't know if the Spector's a good deal but, as a long time G&L user, I can't advice against the G&L. The L-2000 is very versatile, I like to see it as a Leo Fender greatest hits album with bonus tracks: it produces some of the tones you'd get (or close to) with a Jazz bass, a P-bass and a Musicman, plus some sounds of it's own. That said, I recently acquired a Spector bass (not a Euro, mine is a Spectorcore, semi-hollow) and I couldn't advice against a Spector either. Do you have the chance to try both? Your fingers and ears would be the best judge here.

3. Well I can't really get my hands on a USA G&L because there aren't any dealers around me. The only way to get would be off of eBay or something. And the Spector is right in my price range.

4. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Assuming the bass is in good condition, that's a very good price for that bass as they often go for between $800 and $1000 depending on the finish. Having owned a 4-string Spector Euro and a USA L-2000, I would give the nod to overall versatility to the G&L, as the tapping configurations and parallel/serial/passive modes combined with the adjustability of the poles and pickup configuration really offers a ton of tonal options. The Spector, however, is no slouch, and I find the concave bodies to be incredibly comfortable. Also, my bet would be that the G&L will be noticably lighter than the Spector, possibly by up to 2 pounds.

Is there a certain specific tone you're looking for?

5. I guess it wouldn't hurt to get the Spector. Play with it and if you still want a G&L after... save up and get one. It doesn't hurt to have more then one bass, believe me ;)

6. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    They're two very different animals. I happen to own both, and love each for their own thing. The G&L will be more versatile - more tonal options active/passive, series/parallel, etc., and give you more traditional PJ sounds (albeit on steroids), while the Spector will have a more hi fi tone, feel, and build. You want punchy? Spectors have one of the punchiest tones I've ever heard, especially when slapped. Spectors feel/look more upscale/boutique, IMO. Both have incredible slap tones, though the Spector plays more effortless in my hands than the G&L (though there's nothing wrong with the G&L either). Some people aren't crazy about the Spector's preamp/PUPs, so you'll often find players swapping them out for something else. I've yet to meet anyone who gutted their G&Ls preamp/PUPs for something else, however.

My advice: get the Spector for $600, then grab a used G&L L2000 Tribute for $300-400 more. Best of both worlds.

7. I've been GASing for a Spector for a while now... But I've also been GASing for a G&L...

Damn, to be in your position :D

8. project2501

project2501

Feb 26, 2011
    $650 is a great deal for a Spector. I owned one for a few years and have regretted selling it ever since. I've looked for one since and I've never come across one as low as that. You can solo the neck pickups for a p-type sound but it's no replacement for a p. It has a character of it's own.

9. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    I cant comment on the G&L but I can say that the Spector Euro NS4CR at $650 is a great price. At that price you could buy it and if you didnt like it; sell it for more $ on here. I own a similar Spector Euro 4 and I would describe it as having a very punchy clear tone. As long as the neck is in good shape you will love it. If you end up getting it...PM me and let me know what you think of it.

10. Just got the Spector for $650. The guy threw in strap locks and a real nice strap. It's one of the best basses I've ever played. But unfortunately it definitely needs a set up (i wish i knew how to set it up :/ ) and probably a battery. It's very beautiful and has an amazing tone. It's very clear with lots of punch and sustain. Thanks guys for helping me out on this one.

11. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Excellent choice, and that's a great price. Nicely done :)