Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector euro question ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WyattUrp, Feb 8, 2006.

1. WyattUrp

WyattUrp

Dec 16, 2005
    Warwick,RI
    My question is there any way cosmetic wise (stamp, back of headstock,markings, etc) to tell the difference between a spector euro and spector euro lx I know the body wood differences. If I look at the side is it that easy to see the maple,walnut and alder of the LX? I have to think tonewise the solid maple must sound a little better? Any pics and, or help from you guys is greatly appreciated:bassist:

2. WyattUrp

WyattUrp

Dec 16, 2005
    Warwick,RI
    Any help or is this a stupid question?:confused:

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It would be obvious looking from the side, because you'd see where the woods meet.

4. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    can't be a stupid one...there would be tones of snappy answershttp://www.talkbass.com/forum/images/smilies/colors/smile.gif

i'm a bit out of touch on spectors, but aren't the "euro" basses a series (including the Euro bebop bolt-on and the LX neck-thru) rather than a specific model.

rich

5. WyattUrp

WyattUrp

Dec 16, 2005
    Warwick,RI
    I meant the older Czech made Spector and the newer euro lx

6. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    as stated above, if you look at the side, you can see the dark strip of walnut if it's a standard lx... if there's no strip, it's all maple :bassist: and they weigh less too :bassist:

7. WyattUrp

WyattUrp

Dec 16, 2005
    Warwick,RI
    Thanks for the replies, but is their a difference tonewise??:bassist:

8. Perhaps a small difference. Both have full maple neck-through construction, same pickups/preamp/bridge/nut. I would think that the alder might mellow out the tone some, but not much since there is already so much maple on the bass. They might however be drastically different, as every Czech made Spector I've heard has sounded completely different, all good sounds nonetheless.

9. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    believe it or not, having the alder back gives the bass a much rounder tone. the all maple, euro and u.s. have ,a very bright (and sometimes brittle) tone. i was very skeptical about buying another spector (i've had 4). i could never get the tones i was looking for. the lx does it. the playability and tone are there.

10. I'd go with PBFactor.

I tried a Euro 5 and a Euro 5 lx side by side. The Euro 5 sounded too bright for me. The LX has a darkness and mellowness that I really like. Having said that, I've swapped the bridge pickup for an EMG j, which has increased it's tonal versatility no end.

To consolidate, the LX sounded vastly better. So much so, I bought one.

King Tut

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I finally got the chance to play a NSCRFM4 and a Euro LX and I concur with the above posts. I'm a huge fan of the all maple Spectors, but the LX tends to have more warmth and a woodier tone. Don't get me wrong, I love the brightness which tends to add to the signature clarity of Spectors, but the fatter tone was a nice welcome.