1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector EURO to make a Fodera/Victor sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist22, Jul 29, 2007.

1. bassist22

bassist22

Mar 16, 2007
    Hi
    i jst got a Spector Euro NT 4 and it has emg's and i really dig the Victor wooten sound.
    wt mods(preamp etc) should i make to get a sound closer to that of victor wootens?
    Thanks

2. A lot of the Wooten sound comes from his playing really.

If you can play like the guy, you should sound close. The EMGs really do make up a bit of the tone too, so P/J EMGs should also help.

3. I've got a Euro LX with EMG PU's (of course) and an EMG BQC system preamp in it. It doesn't sound like Wooten. I mean, I suppose it sounds more like Wooten than say, a Fender P bass, but it sounds like a Spector. Moral of the story: you can't mod a Spector to sound like Victor Wooten's bass in my opinion. Sorry! :)

4. Wooten has a real sterile tone actually.. it's all in his playing

5. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    all of victors slap tone comes from the butterfly on the headstock.

6. Heh, so just get some sort of butterfly and you're set.

With anything, every piece plays a part. Woods, pickups, preamp, construction, etc.

There's a lot to be said about the tone he gets from having low action, too.

7. I get so sick of hearing that tone "is all in your hands".

BULL!

If that were true, then why do we all GAS over different basses? Shouldn't we sound the same on any bass we play? What, we just GAS over a new bass because it feels different or has different features (non tone-shaping of course because the tone's all in our hands).

Isn't it funny how the tone is different when I play on my Warwick Thumb vs. my Fender Jazz?

Isn't it funny how Geddy's tone sounds different when he plays his Wals vs. his Ricks?

I understand that your personal techniques can affect your sound. If I sat and played Wooten's bass I wouldn't sound exactly like him, but I'd sound a million times more like him than compared to if I was playing a P bass.

Face it people: The VAST majority of tone comes FROM THE BASS ITSELF.

8. PJ set up reallly helps

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Spectors have reversed P/J, not P/J. You need regular P/J pickup configuration to approximate that sound.

10. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ