Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector.....Euro VS. USA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Dec 5, 2004.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I'm wanting a Spector real bad.......Besides the preamp, is there any significant difference between the two?

2. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    No not really. They are both AWESOME instruments. Not much of a difference at all.

3. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I have 2 spector czech models, one a 4 the other a 5. Both well made, easy to play. They fit the hands nice. I've never played the American version, but with the proper set up, I can't imagine there being much difference. I'm pretty sure that I have the aguilar pre-amp in both, which is my main choice of pre-amp in any bass.

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Hopefully RAM will chime in, he owns a US-made Spector NS, and he's tried the other non-US Spector variants. I haven't had the chance to try a newer US-made model.

I really like the sound and eronomics of my Czech-made Spector. It's neck is 'D' shaped, many people call it a 'baseball bat' neck. I personally find it's neck to be really comfortable.

I haven't played a US-made Spector in decades, I tried a friend's NS-1 in the early 80's. It had walnut body wings, a single DiMarzio P-style pickup and an original Badass bridge. I'd love to have that bass today!

My local Spector dealer told me the Czech-made models are about 90% of what the US-made Spectors are.

Whatever that '90%' means, IMO the Czech-made 'Euro Series' Spectors are amazing instruments.

-Art