Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Euro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seansbrew, May 28, 2005.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I played a Spector Euro at GC and it was awesome, my first positive experience with a Spector. Anyway it was a fiver on clearance for $900.00 what do you guys think of this price? I really want to buy it, hopefully it is still there tomorrow.

2. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    You could do a lot worse than a new Euro 5 for $900. My Euro is great. I have an original factory US Spector as well, and I think the Euro model is built just as well. The only difference is the tonal variation due to different preamps. Go for it!

3. BUY IT!!

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    +1!!!

5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    if you don,t go to buy,tell me where is the deal :p

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Ditto....$900 is pretty good for a brand new Euro 5. If I had the money, it would be mine. You could probably do better on ebay, but for obvious reasons, I'd go with one I could inspect personally. If you've got a line on a Euro 4 for a nice price, let me know.

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Have these basses improved since the days when there were called "czech"? I played one of the neck through CZ- 5 strings and thought it was a fairly poor imitation of the real deal. Stuart's NYC crafted neck throghs are some of the absolute sweetest basses around. I spent and hour at Gelb Music one time jamming one until the the staff made me stop :p

The czech bass seemed OK, but had a bulkier neck and just didn't have the same kind of mojo.

8. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Are you talking about the NSCRFM5 basses? They had their faults, but I'm told the Euro 4's and 5's are a vast improvement over their older siblings.

9. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I went back to GC and the Spector was gone. :( If I find a good deal on a used US model, I might go that route.

10. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    What pups were on it? There was a euro 4 at GC the other day, I really don't think the J/Ps though, I can't really put my finger on why though, I just really can't dig into to it.

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Thats too many letters for me to keep it all strait ;) It was probably about 5 years ago ...

12. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I know. It actually stands for Ned Steinberger Czech Republic Flamed Maple. Pretty goofy if you ask me and I think that's why they changed it to the Euro series.

13. NOLA Bass

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I actually have a NS4CRFM from around 98. It is a great bass. Very well made, killer tone, nice flame with an oil finish. It has the old "SSD" logo and dot inlays. Otherwise, it is a great bass. I actually like it better than alot of the later Euro models, but I must admit that the new Euro LX is pretty killer! My US is an original factory 83, so my experience with newer US models is limited to playing one for a few minutes in a music store a few times.

14. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    For some reason, when the SSD's go up for bid on ebay, they don't command a very high price although they are exactly the same bass without the crown inlays. That's good for me because I'm still looking!

The LX's are really sweet with that thin slice of walnut. Really adds a lot to the asthetics of an already absolutely gorgeous instrument. How does the walnut affect the sound?

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My Spector is an NS4CRFM; It has crown inlays and it came stock with an EMG BTS EQ circuit. I've compared it to a few Euro-4's at my local GC and I honestly couldn't find any differences construction or feel-wise. The only thing I didn't like about it was it's stock control knobs, which I replaced.

I've tried a Spector with the Aguilar OBP-1; IMO it sounded great. I haven't heard the Tone Pump, but I'm happy with my bass' BTS EQ. I see no reason to swap it out.

If the CRFM series basses had issues mine must've been a fluke; It's fit, finish, sound, and feel are all superb.

- Art

16. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I'd like to find a cheap one before the July 4th weekend.

17. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I am fairly certain that the Spector I played at GC had emg soapbars.

18. NOLA Bass

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    All the fivers come with the EMG soapbars, whereas the 4 string Euro basses have the PJ setup. Soapbars on a 4 are only available if you go US.

19. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    5-string Spector Euro's come with EMG 40-DC's.

20. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass

Make sense now, I always jsut thought it was jsut a weird coincidence. I defiantly like the soapbars much better, but maybe I'm just biased.