Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Europe Series string spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jan 28, 2001.

1. What's the string spacing at the bridge of the NS5CRFM? Is the bridge adjustable for width? I like to have a full 3/4" between the D and G so I can pop the D more easily; otherwise, string spacing really isn't an issue (I can get some hella-fast slapping going on with my narrow-ass Dean Edge Custom 5).

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's a little wider than your Dean but it's nowhere near 3/4".

That's the reason that I didn't consider that bass when I was looking for a real nice fretless 5. String spacing too narrow.

I can handle narrow spacing on a cheap bass, but if I am paying over a grand it's gotta have what I like.

3. Duly noted. I'm infatuated with the Yamaha TRB5-II right now anyway, as its sound fits my style (rock, funk, and fusion) quite perfectly and the playability is exquisite, so I'll probably pick one up as soon as I have the money; I just wanted to keep my options open.

Too bad I need a guitar amp (gasp!) and another D-210T for my bass rig...

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    analogkid9!!!!!! WHERE THE H*LL ARE YOU!!! I haven't seen ya in like months!! Im still on AIM if you wanna talk ^^;

5. The string spacing is .66" on the 5's. The 4's are .75".
    The narrower string spacing is for faster left hand response.
    As far as tone goes, much better than the Yamaha. I own two five strings and worth every penny. BTW, they have a few remaining leftover new '99 models at http://www.musiciansfriend.com for $999.99!

6. Tone is nothing to me without playability. I have an Eden WT-300; I can sculpt the hell out of the tone if I so desire, but you can't dial in comfort.

7. embellisher

Why not get a bass with both?

8. Who says that the Yammy doesn't have tone? As a matter of fact, by setting all the EQ flat--amp and onboard--I was able to dial in a fabulous rock tone on the TRB5-II, through a WT-300 feeding a D-410XLT, simply by putting the balance pot at 40-60 neck-bridge. Lots of low midrange, beefy lows, and clear highs, with not much high midrange--to me, the perfect tone.

9. embellisher

That's great that you have found a bass that has a tone you like and the feel that you are looking for.

My point was, you can't polish a turd. If the sound of the bass is substandard, all of the tone sculpting in the world cannot make it sound as good as a bass that starts with a great tone.

It's nice to have a ton of flexibilty EQ wise, but IMHO the EQ is there to compensate for room acoustics problems.

Plugged into an Eden, I go flat, just small EQ adjustments from one room to another. All of my basses sound great this way except for my Ibanez, and that should change once I get an Aguilar preamp installed in it.