Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Euros

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Anyone know the differences between the new/old models of the Spector Euro 4 strings with the p/j pups? Are there any differences? I don't know all that much about Spectors despite playing a few and considering purchase of a few so I figured I'd turn to those who know more. Any info is appreciated, thanks guys.

2. They've gone through a few different preamps--EMG and Aguilar, if memory serves--as well as cosmetic and structural elements.
    The earliest basses, like the one I had, had EMG PJ pups and two-band preamp, dot fingerboard inlays and a fat, round neck.
    Nonrespective one's preamp preference, these sound the best to me--that fat neck gives it a really beefy tone and they feel really solid overall. They also tend to go for less money.
    Later-issue Euros resemble the US models in that they have thinner necks and "crown" fingerboard inlays that look like horseshoe crabs.
    I've heard things about the thin necks needing a lot of adjustment, and the tone is a lot less meatier to my ears. Maybe it was the light-gauge strings that came standard on later basses, I dunno.

3. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hmmm, interesting. I didn't know so much had changed over time, I knew about the preamps but nothing else. I'm most curious about the differences between the model about to come out, the Euro LX and the model it is replacing CRFMs, the one with the crown inlays, Spector TonePump pre and EMG p/j pups. I'm really wondering if it would be worthwhile to buy the new LX series or get a used CRFM and put an Aggie OBP-1 in it and maybe different pups since I'm not a huge EMG fan. I'm not even sure if this is a project I'll move forward on, could just be food for thought but I'd kinda like to have a second 4 string because it seems like my 5's just hurt my wrists or cramp my hands despite good technique. Mostly my Warwick, but I love its sound so much I refuse to part with it but even my Fender J5 can get tiresome but it's infinitely more comfortable to my hands than my Jazzman. Four strings just feel so natural to me.

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My NS4CRFM has the crown inlays and the neck has a real "D" shape. It's got EMG P/J pickups with an EMG BTS 2-band eq system. I'm not sure when it was made, but I bought it in 2002. FWIW & IMO, it's a very comfortable bass to play and it sounds really good. It's quality really surprised me when I took it for a spin at the music store. :cool:

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-

I'm not exactly sure but I think the 'Euro' series replaced the 'CRFM' series. I don't think the 'LX' series will replace the 'Euro' series. I think it's a new line within Spector's Czech-made basses.

IMO a CRFM bass with Barts and an Aggie OBP-1 would sound great. Like I posted previously, my CRFM's neck feels kind of round profile-wise, but it's really Jazz-like at the nut. The neck also doesn't taper. If the "D" profile is comfortable for you, you'll love it. IMO one of the best things about the Spector's design is it's ergonomics. Especially when it's strapped on, it just sits perfectly-for me at least. They're a bit on the heavy side, but their balance is really nice.

Best wishes, -A.P.

6. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    How much do these usually go for used? Also, have you ever tried alternate tunings on yours like BEAD? I'm trying to find a way to circumvent my 5 strings and I really only need a B now and again so I'd like to have a 4 tuned low so it's easier on my wrist. Being short has its definite drawbacks. Thanks for the info A.P.

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    As far as converting it to BEAD, it shouldn't be a problem IMO, if you don't mind a narrow string spacing. I've tuned mine down to D without any hassles. I've seen them on ebay as low as $800.00. I cruise ebay all the time, if I see one at a really good price, I'll pm you.

-Art

8. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Sweet, thanks a lot Arthur, I appreciate the assistance. I was lookin last night and saw them ranging between 5-800. GC just recently was selling a brand new one for 800 at their Labor Day sale so I might converse with them and see if they'll still let me swing that deal as well. Thanks again for your expertise.

9. Hi again
    Lil' bit of a follow-up for you...I stopped in GC and tried out a blueburst 4 they were blowing out for $699 brand new (they're dropping that color, and cut $1000 from the price. Huh?). It appears that Spector's Czech crew has gone to a thicker neck than they were carving the last time I tried a 4. Definite U-shape and not much taper.
    I bought mine for $550 used without a case. If your local GC isn't blowing out Spectors PM me and I'll give you info to contact mine.

10. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'm not sure if they are or not, I'll have to look into it. Thanks a ton for the offer Kungfu, I'll definitely let you know but right now I don't have the money. But I appreciate the info and the kindness. I don't mind a thick neck, I actually kind of like them and thick might be good for the low tuning I want it for. Thanks man!!

11. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Czech mades have HUGE necks.. IMO they are soooo comfortable, and fast to play..

12. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I love the Euro Spectors..... :hyper:

The new Euro LX series seems to have a slightly more cutting treble bite to it's overall tone and the standard Euro has a great growl and full bass tone....

Either way, a winner! :)

13. Hi ralph,

before i bought my Euro spector i got a chance to A/B two spectors.. one with the Aggie and the one with the Tonepump.

They played exactly the same.. but to my ears the Aggie was just the way to go.. it just sounded right to my ears.

Don't get me wrong the Tonepump thingie the new series has is pretty good. but I just enjoyed the Aggie alot more.

See if you can pick an old one up on the bay..

14. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Sweet thanks gaz, that's my plan right now, find one with the Aggie on the cheap haha. Gotta wait for funds, maybe after Christmas....