1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector Fretboard Delaminating

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fair Warning, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Hi Folks,
    I had a "used" Spector Rex 5 arrive today that I bought from GC. The story is that it was never owned and was a demo that came from a local Spector Rep. The bass shipped cross country and there was good packing and no signs of damage to the box.

The first thing I saw was "daylight" between the fretboard and the neck from the nut to about 2 inches down. The D and G strings buzz against the upper frets. With my thumb I can press down on the fretboard and it will go back into place.

There is no other signs of use on this bass, and I want to keep it if this is a simple repair. Once the holiday is over, I want to take it to my local GC and give them a chance to take care of this. The store across town usually takes care of me.

Should I expect this to be an easy fix, or is this a sign of a major problem, in which case I will have to return it for refund? Would appreciate expert opinions please. Thanks for the help.

2. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    Can you post a pic? Is the truss rod working OK? I am assuming the finish runs all the over the fretboard edge as well and that is also now cracked through? If that is the case you can certainly get very carefully get some glue in there but it is potentially a messy proposition. The finish will be impacted and now offers an easier area for eventual chipping. Repairing the finish can also be done but do you want to get into all that?

Me? I'd send it back stat.

3. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Contact the store and /or Spector. They have the best cust. Service in the biz. If GC won't take care of you I'm sure Spector will.

4. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    maybe, but some things they will prefer not to get involved with...

5. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    That could be nothing or the sign of a very bad thing, I think. Regardless of whether you keep and fix it, I'd let GC know about it in some durable form (email to the selling store?) immediately, then take it to your local store pronto. Unless you got some super killer deal on it, or are vastly in love with the idea of it, i'd strongly consider returning it. Yes, it could be fixed, but it could also be a vast source of frustration for years.

6. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Ok, I go out of my way to go to the local store of choice (West LA GC), since the guitar tech there is a pro bass player and luthier and has done some great set-ups for me in the past. He says 2 days, and it will be in perfect playing condition. I opted not to have the bass totally refinished. If I get a perfect playing Rex 5 out of this with a few secret, small finish cracks on either side of the neck, I will be rockin. I will report on the outcome, but my confidence is high with this guy. Im into it for 1/2 of what they are asking for them new on ebay. We shall see.