Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector, good/ bad?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chap, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    I've been thinking about getting a new bass for a while now, I came across Spector on MusiciansFriend today and Spector is some beautiful stuff. The paint/ finish is great on it. I know Rex Brown plays Spector and he's an idol of mine. So whats good about Spector? What separates them from the rest? Whats bad about Spector? Whats the tone like? Thanks.

2. herrspektor

herrspektor

Dec 21, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    Spectors are generally regarded as bright sounding basses that cut through mixes very well (I have two). Both of mine have solid maple bodies, which makes them boat anchors, but that's what fat straps are for. Very punchy, solid lows, have pronounced high-mids, but the preamps tend to make the treble kind of "sizzly" as I've seen it put....which is not really a desirable trait if you're playing funk or Motown or jazz, but if you're a rocker, well then, the high-mids and a very punchy bass response are great for rock/metal.

Which one are you looking at, at MF? The electronics and build quality on the U.S. bolt-on (ReBop) or the Czech models are great....I haven't heard many great things about the import NS2000 series...seems to be a problem with dead-spots on the fretboard, and noisy electronics. But that's just what I've heard from others, not heard myself.

Here's what my Czech 5 looks like...older one, 34" scale, but have ditched the old EMG preamp and put an Aguilar OBP-1 in it, which is what the new Czechs have (although they're 35" scale). I've seen them going for 700-850 on ebay...if you can afford the extra couple hundred, it's well worth it.

Hope that helps....

My NS5-CRFM, for sh#$% and grins...
    [​IMG]

3. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    I was looking at the NS2000. I don't know, but if Spector is generally a respected company and produces good basses, and you say that the more expensive ones are great, then I can't imagine less expensive ones being bad in quality. See, I live in Reno, NV and there are no Spector dealers here. And I've never played a Spector before. So I come to you guys, and you guys have been good with advice with me always. Thanks.:rolleyes:

4. herrspektor

herrspektor

Dec 21, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I've never had a bad experience with Spectors, expensive or not. Their customer service is great, to boot. I'm not "herrspektor" for nothing :cool: I always use them when I play with the rock band I'm in....

'Nuff said. Hopefully you can try one out before you buy....

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Chap, the Korean Spectors are not bad, but they do not measure up to the Czech(or USA) in sound or quality.

But if you are on a budget, and want a Spector, go for it. If the tone doesn't quite live up to the active EMG models, you can always replace the preamp and pickups later on.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The NS-2000 neck thru basses are really nice. I think the basses sound good as is with the EMG-HZ's & BTS pre-amp. The NS-2000 bolt-on's are nice also but they don't have the contoured body or maple body that Spectors are known for. If you're dead set on getting one new, I'd get the NS-2000 neck thru, but if you don't mind used via eBay or elsewhere, I'd suggest an NS-4CR. Hands down a MUCH better bass!!!!!

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I have a 2000/5 and 2000Q5. Both sound great, but I added a second 9v battery in series to the tone circuit, and man, what a difference in tone! Definitely suggest hot rodding to 18 volts with the BTS, huge improvement for like less than $2!!!

8. I have a Korean Rex Brown 5 string and would definitely reccommend it. If you like the body shape and don't mind some neck dive (which can be corrected by moving the strap buttons and getting a wider strap) then this is an excellent bass. The EMG HZs give the bass a bright, punchy sound, with good mids and powerful lows. At least on mine, the construction is flawless, much better than I would expect for a Korean made instruments. I've never played a Czech or USA Spector or even another Spector, as there are none in my area. The guy I bought it from said that Czech Spector he had played better, but the REx sounded better. Anyways, it's a very good quality and good sounding instrument for not too much money, and I'm sure most Spectors are. The bass is also good for many styles, and I can get a great slap tone out of it.

9. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Spectors sound like they are quality and well respected instruments. I can get the NS2002 Q4 off of RiksMusic.com or MusiciansFriend for about $500 or a little more. So what do you think?

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    The re-bop is made in Czech, spector buddy.

Oh,, and NICE bass man. i Envy you.

11. herrspektor

herrspektor

Dec 21, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    Gahhhh!

Ok, I see that I was temporarily bereft of my senses....the NS-JH series is the USA bolt-on. Similar, except the ReBops have alder bodies, I think, and the EMG-HZ pickups, instead of other EMGs and wood choices you can get on the USA series.

Hallelujah, I'm sane again.

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well, I've got 2 NS5CR Spectors (Czech 5 strings_ and a REX2000/5 Korean (Rex Brown sig shape 5 string).

I have found nothing that I can moan about on the Czech ones. They sound fantatstic (although one of them is a new old stock job that has SSD on the headstock and non EMG pups and pre - when I can afford it, it'll get the EMG treatment!)

The REX only has one issue - neck dive, but if you can handle it it's great.

Now, you seem to be looking at the standard shape Spector - so you won't have any neck dive problems.

For $500 - that seems pretty good, but I'm on the wrong side of the pond to really understand the prices you guys get. My REX cost me £665, which I guess is around the $1000 mark!

13. herrspektor

herrspektor

Dec 21, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    Beerfinder General...I like, lol. Good name.

My Czech is a '97, which is a SSD-era bass...but mine has the EMG soapbars and had an EMG pre stock, until I swapped it out with the newer Ag pre. Maybe there were some that didn't come with EMGs(?) what kind of pickups are in yours?

Czechs go for fairly inexpensive on ebay...even with shipping to the UK, I'd bet it still be a lot cheaper than buying one there! You could probably get a nice used CR for what you got your Rex for, over here.

Arrivederci!

14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Then he'd have to pay duties & taxes & shipping & etc & it'll end up costing the same if not more. :)

15. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Where am I able to get one of the Czech Spectors? Is ebay the only place? Aren't the ones made here in the USA good stuff?

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hi herrspektor - not sure what age mine is, as I got it from Thomann brand new only last year! IT has 2 unbranded sopabars and am not sure about the preamp, although Paul - at Thomann - told me that they were all Korean!

Nino-Brown has pretty much answered your second point. On first import to the European Union, articles with a value of over £18 (I'm guessing about $30) are subject to import duty. That plus the shiping and insurance can bump the price up by I reckon about 25%-30% (not sure). So the bargain kinda disappears!

17. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    The USA Spector's are the cream of the crop. I've owned 4 USA neck thru Spectors. I've also owned about 8 or 10 Czech neck thru models & for the price difference & minor differences betewwn the basses, The Czech line is the better value.

18. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    You really can't go wrong with any Spector. Expect different levels of quality and attention to detail through the price ranges. However, they're all very playable and great sounding instruments.