1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector Ian Hill Neck Measurements

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jknorton, Mar 2, 2013.

1. jknorton

jknorton

Nov 14, 2008
    Massachusetts
    For those who have Ian Hill basses - would anyone care to spend the effort and actually measure the depth, thickness front-to-back, (not width) at the 1st and 12th frets?
    Why? I like thin necks and bought a factory second Ian Hill based on it being the thinnest Spector and being a good buy. It's a great bass but doesn't seem really thin-necked to me. It's all relative and I'm new to Spectors. Neither the dealer nor I could ever figure out why this bass was a second. Fast forward a few months. For other reasons I got around to measuring the necks on a bunch of basses and this one is a fair bit thicker than the Spector web site calls out. Much closer to US NS-2 specs. So maybe this one was a second because the neck was wrong? At this point it's mostly curiosity.
    Related to this - I'm putting together a spreadsheet of neck measurements - has someone already done this and it's out there somewhere. If not, I'll be happy to share mine.

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
  3. jknorton

jknorton

Nov 14, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks - I know they have the specs on the site. I referenced them in my post. The point of the question is that my bass is NOT close to those specs. So, is this unique to my bass or is it typical of other IH basses as well.

4. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    Can't speak to its thickness relative to other Ian hill models, but everything (Including neck shaping IIRC) is done by hand at the Czech workshop, so it's possible that your bass's (relatively) thick neck was enough to call it a second.

If you don't get a response here soon there's always the Spector club thread.

5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    i realized that after i finished reading your post, after i already posted. my bad bro.