1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Featured Spector Introduces Thrilling New Basses

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Feb 5, 2021.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Melville, NY - Spector Musical Instruments announces the release of its latest two series - the NS Dimension and NS Ethos. Expanding on Spector’s influential design legacy, these instruments feature compelling features like multi-scale design, exotic wood tops, and premium electronics.

Spector’s NS Dimension Series combines iconic design with multi-scale construction, bringing a new level of playability and tonality to Spector’s dedicated legion of players. In addition to the multi-scale, neck-thru construction, the NS Dimension features a variety of premium tone woods and cutting-edge Fishman Fluence electronics.

The NS Ethos Series offers players a fresh take on this Spector’s now classic design with updated finishes and premium electronics from Aguilar. The NS Ethos and its neck-thru construction provides players with striking mid-range presence and the unrivaled playability that Spector is known for.

“The NS Dimension Series and NS Ethos Series represent the future of Spector” says John Stippell, Global Brand Manager for SMI. “Taking cues from our flagship USA Series, these models feature premium materials combined with incredible new finishes, and premium electronics. These new instruments will allow bassists to reach greater heights with their playing.” added Stippell.

The NS Dimension is available in a Haunted Moss Matte or Super Faded Gloss finish beginning January 15th, 2021. Prices start at $1,999.99 for 4-string models and $2,099.99 for 5-string models. The NS Ethos is available in an Interstellar Gloss or Super Faded Black Gloss Finish. Prices start at $1,799.99 for 4-string models and $1,899.99 for 5-string models. Both series of basses will be available internationally in early 2021. For more information visit www.spectorbass.com.

NSETHOS4INTER_detail2.jpg NSETHOS4INTER_main.jpg NSETHOS4INTER_detail1.jpg NSDM5HAUNT_main.jpg NSDM5HAUNT_detail2.jpg NSDM5HAUNT_detail1.jpg

2. bullitproof

bullitproof Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Boston
    I've put an order on a NS Dimension bass, see you in July!

Lb50F, Lloydtownsend, Loring and 4 others like this.
  3. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Pretty cool finishes but crafted in Korea does not thrill me.

4. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Why? They are a guitar manufacturing mecca right now. Modern equipment and an experienced workforce combined with local competition should (not always) get you a pretty decent instrument for the $ spent. Those are probably retail prices listed. Granted, some of that cash is going towards the brand name. Can a Spector with similar design elements be created in your choice of location for the same money?

5. Spooge

Spooge Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Missouri
    Why are they going away from the EMG pickups and Tonepump or EMG preamps? I've seen the Euro LT with Bartoloni as well... not sure why they are trying to change the sound of Spector.

TB24, Lloydtownsend and Al Krow like this.
  6. zmebass76

zmebass76 Makin' bass faces since '92... Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    I have an old Korean NS-2000/5 Spector bass that stands on its own against any other bass out there. Don't let the Korean part fool you. There's nothing wrong with a Korean Spector.

TB24, catcauphonic, Road Hat and 3 others like this.
  7. Lloydtownsend

Lloydtownsend

Aug 23, 2010
    Michigan
    None
    Needs the Haz.

birminghambass likes this.
  8. Bassique

Bassique

Feb 25, 2015
    Finland
    They must change with the player demands too. I'm almost certain their new multiscale bass will sell better with Fishman pickups than with EMG's, also I personally like that the Euro bass is available with Bartolini's too, what's bad about versatility? I agree that EMG pickups and preamp are big part of that Spector sound, I doubt that will change anytime soon.

TB24, bullitproof and Road Hat like this.
  9. It should be interesting. I have a few guitars with EMGs and Fishmans and I definitely prefer the EMGs overall.

10. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

I've found from experience that the Asian made basses from the last few years have been top notch, like 80's MIJ. I have NO problem buying a bass made in Indonesia, China these days. They are actually incredible. MIK, I am unfamiliar with, but my pickups in my Cirrus all say MIK, so I'll assume they are also good.

TB24 likes this.
  11. The great thing about the mulit-scale version is that now you can actually reach the 24th fret on a Spector bass! :D

wmmj likes this.
  12. Been listening to demos on youtube... it's a killer sounding bass!

TB24, bullitproof and mb94952 like this.
  13. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

I just listened to a bunch of samples. Sounds like a KILLER bass, BUT (there had to be a but) it sounds like Spector is geared towards "newer" styles of music that include Darkglass pedals. That's not a bad thing, just curious if Spector is a brand that attracts a more metal-ish crowd. I never considered Spector a brand that catered to certain genres more than others. I guess I'm just out of the loop.

TB24 and bullitproof like this.
  14. Spector was the favorite bass of many rock and metal players during the 80s and 90s so I think that's where they got most of their publicity and that still carries over till today.

But it's a versatile instrument and there are plenty of funk, country, and gospel players who use them too.

wmmj, mb94952 and TB24 like this.
  15. I'll take Korea over the Czech Republic.

16. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    +1 there. Korean made stuff has been top notch for the past couple of decades. (Remember, 2000 was about 20 years ago).

Yeah, I remember back in the late 80s and early 90s when Hyundai cars were tin cans, but now they're among the most reliable cars on the road, even outranking some Japanese brands. So, yeah, I don't understand why "made in Korea" still has a stigma in 2021.

As for these new Spector basses, the Ethos in that interstellar finish looks sick and the Pulse (not pictured) in the sandblasted red and black looks nasty (in a good way). I'd proudly rock either of them if given the opportunity. My only caveat with those is that I wish they had the separate easy-open battery compartments like the Dimension does.

wmmj and mb94952 like this.
  17. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    The reason for most has nothing to do with either quality of the end product, xenophobia, nor with saying “why would I spend $W,XYZ.00 for a bass that’s just as good in my hands and to my ears as a bass that costs $K,XYZ”. If you have to be told, you’ll never get it anyway, so it doesn’t matter.

Buy what you want to buy and can responsibly buy, don’t buy what you don’t want to buy.

birminghambass and mb94952 like this.
  18. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Why so? My Czech Euro 4LX oozes build quality.

phillipkregg likes this.
  19. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    I had a Czech made NS2-JA-R that killed.

phillipkregg likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021