Spector Knobs!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stompfrog, May 1, 2005.

1. Just got myself a 5 string Spector Euro and it is absolutley brilliant. Black cherry burst flamed maple top with neck-thru construction, schaller tuners and straplocks, big phat EMG pups. The chunkiest bridge i have ever seen and Sims custom shop LEDs in the neck!

Cleary a top end bass made by people who know what they are doing!!

So can anyone tell me why it has plastic knobs???

every guitar/bass i have ever owned has had metal knobs except this one??

Also if anyone has any black schaller tuners that they would like to swap for my gold plated ones then drop me a message!!
  2. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    nothing wrong with plastic knobs my friend many high end basses have them
  3. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Oh also IMO metal knobs dont always look good on all basses
  4. I suppose so.

I still think i am gonna get some black metal knobs tho :D

they just feel nicer
  5. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I replaced the plastic knobs on my NS-JH5 with a set of the knobs that are used on Sadowsky basses and on Aguilar amps. Looks much better now, IMO. Pic:

6. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Check out www.thgknobs.com.
    They make all types of knobs out of high end woods. The choices are pretty endless and you could dress up your Spector more to your liking.
    Ironically, I don't mind the plastic knobs. I actually don't care for the metal knobs on my custom built 5 string and have been thinking about ordering the wooden knobs from thg.
  7. I prefer the rubber knobs, nothing feels like them
  8. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    You know what your right I just played a spector euro about an hour ago and I noticed the knobs and they have REALLY CHEAP plastic knobs they feel there from a really cheap toy from a machine in the supermarket! I take back what I said before I was refering to knobs on like Fenders and stuff which are nicee heavy duty plastic. You where right!!
  9. Cool!

I'm glad i'm not the only one who is dissapointed.
    Those wooden knobs look cool on that site, thanks for the link.

Did my first gig with the spector last night.....:bassist:

Made a few cock ups. Not used to having that big old B-Cable in the way!
    I guess I could blame the cheap plastic knobs? :)

Still..... sounded growly!!

Is it just the euros which have the crappy knobs or do the US one feel the same?
  10. Gastambide

Mar 4, 2005
    I put gold dome knobs on my Black Cherry Spector Euro, to match the rest of the hardware. Really dressed up the bass!
  11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    they are all the same.
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I really find I prefer metal dome knobs on just about everything. However, my Yamaha is strange, I like the plastic ones!
  13. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The EMG pre's that I replace the Tone Pumps with come with rubberish knobs that are really cool, except the concentrics are tricky, they get stuck together.
  14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What's wrong with plastic knobs?
  15. Maybe I'm a backwards dip****, but I always thought those black knurled metal knobs look way cheesier than the Spector knobs in question.

16. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Ah! So it was you who won the auction.... I was looking at that but missed the auction end! Doh! Good purchase mate!

If you ever want to sell it, let me know! ;)

I have some black Gotohs (off of a Spector Rex2000/4) which should do the job. If you're interested in a tuner-trade PM me...