Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Legend 5 Noise problems

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Maurice Carr, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    A friend of mine has asked me to help solve a noise problem with his Spector Legend ( Professional Series ) 5

The problem is highlighted when turning up the treble and he says the best way to describe the problems is that it sounds like frying bacon!

He has changed the EMG on board EQ for a Bratolini TB-IBT. The pots came with it and the values are:
    Volume=25k, treble=50k, bass=50k, blend=50k.

It has a 9v system

It is most obvious under the stage lights at church, but still present no matter where he plays.

He likes the bass boosted to 100% with the treble at roughly 50-75%.

He's tried it with various amps - no difference.

The orginal preamp was EMG (don't know the model #) but it was causing even more strife.

The bass has

• EMG-hz pickups
    • Bridge-humbucker; neck-stacked single coil
    • Onboard buffered preamp-Bartolini with treble and bass tone controls (four knobs) as mentoined above
    • Body Cavity Shielding-Painted.

That's the best I can tell you about his bass. The problem is most apparent when the treble tone knob is boosted above flat. Actually, to get it reasonably quiet, he has to completely cut the treble.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Mo

2. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Thank you Paul :) , I'm sure he's been in touch with them but I'll find out what the outcome was.

Mo

3. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Apparently he contacted them and they were of little help to him.

He knows of a musical instrument store in Dallas, a few hours drive from his place and may take the bass there. Their techs have a good reputation and have done work for some high profile artists apparently.

However, just as a favour for my friend, I was kind of hoping that someone else on TB either had experienced this problem and had found a solution to it or at least knew what may be causing the problem.

To me it seems to be a shielding or wiring problem but I'm not at all skilled in these matters.

Mo