1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spector Legend 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Aug 8, 2012.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Hello All,

Has anyone had a chance to play one of these or even own one? How is the quality of these?

Thanks
    Shaun

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

They're pretty good , IME - if you can grab a used one in decent shape for $300-$400, I think you're getting a good value for your money...

- georgestrings

3. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    How is the tone?

Shaun

4. 5string_phunk

5string_phunk Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I owned a Legend 4 with the tonepump jr in it. It was a fantastic bass!!!

Spectors at any price point are usually quality instruments!

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    AIC or Pantera are both good examples of Spector tone, IMO...

- georgestrings

6. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Could I achieve this same tone with the Legend? Do have any "real life" photos of these basses? I know I can look on the web but those photos do not seem to real. This must not make sense I am sure. I am really interested in the Cherry Burst or Slate Gray.

Also thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. :)

Shaun

7. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k461/robsterog/SpAmp.jpg

I just picked this one up recently, and I love it. I have played and owned a lot of Spectors but this is my first Legend...it is an older one, special edition with the J pickup in the neck...and the body on the older ones are more rounded than the newer ones...but it is a fantastic bass with a helluva B string.

8. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    What other bass could you compare the build quality of the Legend to?

Shaun

9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I would say they are on par with MIM Fenders for sure.

10. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I am trying to find a good fiver for under a grand. I already have a good Jazz and P Bass. I really would like to find something that is aggressive and in your face. I really like the Spector Legend, Warwick Rockbass Fortress or Schecter Studio.

Shaun

11. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

:eyebrow: Im gonna pretend like I didnt hear you say that ;)

12. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I think that the Legend could be a good 5er for under a grand. Honestly though, I think that some of the Schecter Studio line are better basses.

I like Spector a lot though. I think that they are a better company to buy from.

What would you compare them to in terms of quality? :eyebrow: I compared them to MIM Fenders for a couple of reasons: 1. Most have played a Fender MIM instrument so that could be a base level.
    2. The MIM's that I've played recently have been every bit as high quality as the Spector Legends I've played.

Your Legend is a cut above the others that I've played. Tone, feel, and quality wise. From what I'm told the newer Legend's are again being produced in Korea and have all maple bodies. A couple that I played that my local shop had were Indonesian and I did not find them to be worth the new price tag honestly.

:)