Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Legend 6 -> Passive replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sargebaker, Aug 9, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I have a Spector Legend 6 and along with the constant hassle of battery changing (they die every few months, possibly a wiring problem) I just really prefer the sound of passive basses! So I'm thinking of having the preamp removed and the bass converted all passive. Problem is I'm not sure whether or not I dig the EMG HZ all passive sound...I was wondering if there are any replacements out there (without having to go the custom route).

Thanks!

2. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    bump. anyone? I figure I have nothing to lose by trying the EMG HZs. would it be hard to wire in a push/pull knob or switch for active/passive?

3. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    With a little research I've answered my questions. With some advise and reflection I think it wiser to go the active/passive route to get the best of both worlds. I've so far narrowed down 2 options.

Add an aguilar 3-Band Pre
    2 Pickup - 4 knob / 1 switch Configuration
    Vol - Vol - Mid - Treble/Bass Stacked Pots, Mid selector switch - $140
    Add an Active / passive switch $10
    Total (incl. shipping): $176.00 USD

or

Bartolini NTMB
    4.6 A/P
    2 Pickup - 4 knob configuration
    Controls:
    - Volume (with Acitve/Passive push-pull)
    - Blend
    - Mid (push pull freq selector)
    - Treble/Bass Stack.
    4.6 A/P - In stock now! - $150

Bartolini XXM56M (EMG 45 Shape)- 6 String Soapbar Bass Pickup:
    Neck - In Stock! - $100
    Bridge - In Stock! - $100

Total: 376.00 USD

I guess it comes down to whether I prefer the sound of Barts to EMGs, problem- I like them both it depends on the day. The second question I need to ask myself is are the Barts worth about double the price....

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Getting 3 months use out of battery before its starts getting weak is very good imo. Getting 4 or more months is tremendous. I think 3-4 months is good range. I just write date of install on battery or peice of paper put in with the battery and change em about once every 3 to 3 and half months. Ive had batteries in for 4 months before thinking battery isnt performing as well as new one would. But isnt hassle or money worry. Just be sure to use qaulity brand of alkaline. Either Duracell or Energizer.

Both EMG and Barts are good. EMG Hz have improved a lot from what they where in the 1980's. I'd be more partial to the EMG hz's myself over the Barts. A more heavy rock swound to them imo. The aquilar preamp is nice. But I'd suggest you compare the freq's of it with the 3 band emg with variable mid. You might like its center freq's better.

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    The EMG SSDs, not HZs, are what Spector Legends come loaded with (unless you have the neck-thru Legend Customs). I personally am not a fan of the HZs, but I thought the SSDs were quite nice.

Regardless, I've replaced mine with the EMG 45TW (bridge) and 45P (neck) as well as added an Aguilar OBP-3. I've never been happier with the tone from this thing. I can't wait to throw a balanced set of Circle K strings on it.