Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Legend 6...WOWZA!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sargebaker, Nov 25, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Okay, the local store got one in yesterday and I went to check it out today (I was the first person to ever play it!!) It was the Bubinga one. Now let me start by saying, I thought the top was hideoud, it had deep wide ugly grain and felt plasticy but when I plugged that thing in I almost needed a change of pants. I plugged into some kinda Ampeg with everything flat and just noodled around and what not. It played like BUTTER and the B string was intense! Blew the B off my Carvin way out of there! And it slapped so easily! Needless to say tomorrow I'm placing the downpayment for a Slate Grey one. Then with the Carvin and the Spector I'll be set until my fund re-produce and I have a GAS attack.

2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i should check them out. How do they compare to the rebop's. ive played a couple of those and they werent bad.

3. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Thats #2 on my GAS list after a new amp. I haven't been able to find many pictures of them or read any good reviews. I always see the 5 string. So how is the string spacing and the neck? I want one soo bad.

4. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I can only compare it to the Spector core 5 fretless which felt almost as good (but not quite) and sounded insanely better. String spacing was VERY comfortable, I had an easier time slapping than i did on my Carvin. The neck was extremely comfortable, and the body contour and everything. I have a bit of beef with the pickups but not because of the sound, just the way they feel (they aren't the most comfortable pickups). To sum it up for 850.00 CAN I cannot imagine a better bass!

5. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Thats awesome. I can't wait to see some pics of it.

6. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    downpayment was made tonight, should be here next week...along with my 90$ Strings... :bag: Lets just say the good price on the bass made up for em!

7. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I have a Legend-6 too. Good bass. I replaced the HZ's with 45-DC's and a TonePump pre. Now it sounds like a Euro. It's an excellent bass for the price!

8. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    got pics? what finish does it have?

9. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
  10. how much did it cost you?

11. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    The string spacing isn't wide, it's standard. The body is narrow, it's an illusion, which is pretty much the only thing that I could think that is negative about this bass. If it was a little wider it would help with the neck dive, which isn't much but could probably eliminate it completely.

I can't say what I paid for it. I buy directly from Spector ;)

12. >:O :D

13. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Its in and it plays wonderfully! I love it. The only thing is the fingerboard seems to be a little cheap (very open grain, a little bit of white) In the light you can really see the quilt. Basswhore was right about the neckdive... but it isn't very bad, infact if he hadn't of mentioned it I probably wouldn't have noticed it :p I'll try to get pictures this weekend.

14. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    If you wear a padded non-slip strap the neck-dive will never be a problem. Like I said, It's barely there :) You could also put a lead weight in the control cavity to counter balance it a bit, it doesn't take much.

The fretboard has some open grain to it, but I wouldn't worry about it. Have you ever seen a warwick fretboard? I swear you could store a cable and an extra set of strings in there ;) I don't know about the 'white' stuff'. Maybe take a can of compressed air to it, might just be dust from the final sanding.

Are you going to replace the electronics? I can personally recommend EMG 45-DC's and the Tone Pump :)

15. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    white stuff = gone. No I doubt that I'll need to replace the electronics. I don't find theese are bad and I'm not at the skill or gigging / recording level where I feel the need to replace em, but I'll remember that when it comes the time! Hope to get some pics of this sweet bass up soon!

16. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    That's cool. The tone is great! Mine needed to be upgraded so that I could switch between it and my Euro's without having to adjust the gain/eq/pad everytime.