1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector Legend Classic 4 stringer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jaredrb0, May 18, 2011.

1. Hello, this is my first post, so I'll start by introducing myself. I'm Jared, living in Colorado right now, and have just recently got into playing bass. My current set up is a Dean Edge 09 with a Peavy TNT 115 amp. Now that I've got a decent starting amp, I'm now looking for a nice new bass. I was looking into the Spector Legend Classic 4 stringer, which is around $600. I can't seem to find much on this bass, and was wondering if anyone had some more information on it.
    Thanks,
    Jared

2. Vain1

Vain1

Feb 14, 2009
    Seattle
  3. Thanks!
    That link helped a bit, anyone owned one of these who can give me some info on it? Playability, electronics quality? That sort of thing.
    -Jared

4. I've owned 3 of the Classics and 2 Customs. My experience is that the quality control runs anywhere from really great to really sloppy, If you can try the bass out first, that would be the best thing. The country of manufacturer changed and they had a bad batch of Legend's come out. You can find them much less if you buy used, which I recommend.

I personally love the necks on the Legends. And the body just feels like it molds to your body. Generally tend to be on the lightweight side, however I've run into a couple that were over 9 lbs. so that's another reason to try before you buy. Electronics (pickups/preamp) are pretty decent, and can always be updated later to the better EMG's if wanted.

5. Its strange really, I don't think any shops in Colorado even have Spector basses, much less have them for sale used. I would love to get one used, but unless I get it from someone on here, that's not going to happen. Unfortunately, I don't see one anyways, and I lack the funds currently. I'd rather not order new, but if I had to, I suppose I'd get it from musician's friend, seeing as they're the only place I can think of that has it in stock.
    Thanks for the insight
    -Jared

6. They're not that easy to find around here either. Sam Ash Music used to carry them, but they stopped. I see them in the classifieds here though now and then.

Here's a list of online dealers from the Spector website.

Online Dealers

7. I'll keep my eyes open for them on the classifieds here. Thanks for the help.
    -Jared

8. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    Jared,
    Is there a Guitar Center near you? They usually have some used ones around.
    Musiciansfriend and major online Music retialers usually have a nice 30-45 day return policy if you dont like it. I had a Legend, the Tuners and Bridge are alittle chessy but overall its a nice instrument for the price range. You may also want to look into a Used Spector ReBop which would be a nice upgrade. Try Ebay also, there are sometimes good deals on there.

9. LilloEsquilo

LilloEsquilo Banned

Nov 8, 2009
    I've had a number of Legends, both Classics and Customs, some with the 2 humbuckers and even one with a P/J pickup configuration.

In general the quality has been excellent. I got one, new, that had sharp frets on it, very sharp as it it would cut you if you really dug in. Otherwise I have not had a single problem with any of them. For what it's worth the bass with sharp frets was made in Indonesia, where the new ones are made in Korea again. So if you go the used route, I recommend avoiding the Indonesian made basses if you can. You might get one that's perfect or you might not that way.

All in all these are great basses for rock they have great mid range power that's what they were really made for. They can do other styles but rock and heavy stuff is clearly what they are best at.

It is the most comfortable body shape I have ever seen in a bass. They are relatively heavy but you'll get used to that and I don't think they are THAT bad as far as weight.

All in all these are great basses I highly recommend. Spector support is great, PJ Rubal answers all emails within 24 hours in my experience.

Hope this helps you.

10. I do have some GCs around me, I'll check them out this Saturday when I go for new strings on my current bass.

11. I does indeed help, thanks a ton, I do play a lot of metal, thrash, metalcore, you get the gist. I'll keep the used bass tip in mind.
    -Jared