1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector Legend Classic Volume Behavior

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by aspdevboy, Sep 15, 2008.

1. I may post this in the Spector club too.

I like to use my volume controls quite a bit during slower, quieter songs. I either 'roll volume all the way off, gradually, or all the way on, gradually.

My Legend seems to have an abrupt taper close to the "volume off" position, whereby instead of rolling gradually to silence, it basically goes "off."

Does this make sense? In other words, I can't roll smoothly all the down to "off." Both pickups behave the same.

I'm guessing this is normal for whatever preamp exists in the Legend.

Anyone else have this same thing?

2. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    It's the same with my Legend- You might want to consider a volume pedal.

3. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    It was the same thing in about 1/2 my guitars I used to own. Not unique at all.

4. Dang. I didn't have this problem with my Cort RB5, NS2000/Q5, Yamaha RBX6JM or MTD K5.

Rather than a volume pedal, I should install a different preamp. Or is it a volume POT thing?

5. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    It's the volume pots (90% sure, pick-ups may have something to do with it). You can replace them, but that's a little more complicated.

It sounds like you really want to change your pre, and I don't fault you, but it sounds like a volume pedal is what you need- Perfect to gradually adjust volume while playing.

6. I'm not keen on the idea of buying an accessory to solve a design issue. I'm thinking the behavior of the electronics (be it pots or pickups or preamp or a combination thereof) is flawed-- volume control behavior should be consistent.

If this was an Essex or something, I'd probably not worry about it. At first I decided it wasn't that big of a deal. Now I'm sort of thinking I want to resolve it. :)

7. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Do you use an amp when you bass isn't loud enough?

Do what you need to do though.