1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector legend pj, out of phase?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Maynjo, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    Hey all, I just picked up a new Spector legend neck thru, the blue one with the Aguilar pj set, and when I turn the volume all the way up on both pickups, the sound gets real thin and almost sounds chorusy. Everything I've read says the Aguilar set blends really well together, so I can only assume they're out of phase, however, I took a look inside and the wiring looks correct. The white wire is soldered to the pot, and the black wire is grounded on both. Any suggestions?

2. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    There will be a slight loss of sorts with both pickups on 10, they load each other, and there's a drop in output, and crispness, but, it shouldn't sound really thin. You won't hurt the pickups if you switch the leads on one of them, (either one), in the control cavity, (solder one ground lead to the pot, and one hot lead to ground.). If it was mine, and it sounded really bad, I would bring it to the place I bought it, and demonstrate. If it's new, you won't hurt anything with my suggestion, but, you may void your warranty... you will know for sure if they are out of phase, things will sound much better, or much worse, ( the difference will be drastic). I don't know how the Spector preamp plays into this, I'm not familiar with it. It is possible to have both white wires on the pots, and both blacks to ground, and be out of phase, and reversing one set would fix that, it would seem a bit odd if a new bass came out of production wired out of phase though.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  3. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    Thanks for the reply. No, it was a huge difference in sound, it was definitely wired out of phase. I returned it though, sadly. It was a beautiful bass, but there were multiple little things wrong with it. It was my first Spector Legend, but I'm a little put off from the company now as the quality of the bass was really terrible. Worse than I would expect from a 200 dollar bass.

4. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Have you contacted Spector and explained the issues?
    If you did, you would find out they are great at customer support. Especially on a bass that just came out on the market.

5. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    No, I didn't, but I really wish I had. Wasn't the best experience I've had with a seller either. When I went on the Spector site it said for warranty claims you had to go through your Spector authorized dealer, and the only option he really gave me was to return it. I've always wanted a Spector, and I was extremely excited about the specs on that one, especially for the price. But after seeing it in person and all the flaws it had, I don't know how it got out of the factory without being considered a b or even a c stock.

6. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Either way, it is more of a reflection on the seller than Spector. Personally I would still contact people at Spector and explain your experience with new bass that they just put on the market, they will want to know if there are issues with their basses.
    The pickup phase issues should not have happened.

Do not give up on Spector, they are some of the finest instruments you can buy.
    And one last piece of advice: buy used - both of my Czech Spectors (NS-4CRFM and Rebop 5) I paid less than $500 and both of them are keepers