Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Legend series...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Jul 29, 2004.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'm looking at picking one of these up as opposed to waiting out for the seemingly overpriced NS4's that are currently floating around. BassNW has a killer amber finish one that seems like a great deal. I don't know where they're made, as opposed to the ReBop series or whatnot, but I want the P/J setup that you can't get on 'Bops. So, anyone have one or know something about them?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Made in Korea i think?

basswood body, if they are like the other Professional series basses.

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Yeah, I think it's a basswood body. Ok, so it's a Professional series... Hmm, maybe I will just wait out for a Euro then. I thought they were Czech made too.

4. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Definitely made in Korea.....if Spector is your thing and you've got the scratch for a Czech made one, go for it. You'll love it.

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Yeah, I think I'm gonna. I've had 2 in the past few years, traded up my natural 4 for an amber 5, and for whatever reason just didn't feel the 5 like I did the 4, so now I'm trying to get back to that one. We'll see!

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    The Legend is part of the Professional series, not the Performer. Basswood, Korean made, EMG pickups and active. It's a great bass. Fit and finish way above average for a sub-$1,000 bass. I don't like the gold hardware, but it's a great sounding and easy to play bass. I liked it as well as the Czech made models, but that's just me. :D

7. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Yeah, I was really glad that the Pro Q5 was still available when I got mine new in January as I liked the double humbucker type EMG's and the black hardware.

8. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I got my Legend 6 about 3 months ago and it is a great bass. The bubinga sounds excellent! If your looking for an Amber Euro 4, I have one I need to get rid of for bill payment unfortunately. It's in the sale section, 800 shipped. Check it out! 8 months old.

9. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I thought this would be an appropriate place to post my initial impression on the Spector Legend series. This past weekend I visited the local Guitar Center to see what was new on the wall. They had a Spector Legend 4-string in natural with a bubinga top. I was initially impressed with the overall feel and balance, very lightweight and nice neck profile. Somewhat more streamlined than the USA or Chech models I've played. The fit and finish were also very good, heck damn good for the price. The bubinga was beautiful without being overdone. I plugged it in and was then very impressed with the sound, still had the Spector fundamental but warmer sounding. I really liked the tone of the EMG passive PJ pickups and the preamp was nice as well. I was more impressed with the P style pickup soloed, the J soloed didn't really have much to offer without extensive EQing. But equally blended produced a full, punchy sound but with added warmth. Overall I have to say that I was impressed, especially with the price. The only thing that concerned me was the tuners did slip bit when I was tuning the bass but that could be maybe from the store setup. Also something that can be easily remedied with the many tuner replacement options these days. I will definitely be checking this bass out again when time allows but just wanted to pass along the information.