Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Natural Oil Finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by F*#$NA4, Mar 31, 2004.

1. F*#$NA4

F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago
    Hello Sirs and Mams,

I was curious, I own two Spector basses, one euro NT 4 and a new euro bolt-on 5 Rebop. Anyhow, the Rebop 5 has the natural oil finish and I know they use that finish on other models as well.

Here is my question, I have had the rebop 5 for 2 weeks and noticed that the wood on the body and neck is super soft. The place where I rest my thumb is already starting to wear; it looks like I have been plating it for 4 years. If anything comes into contact with the wood, it creates a dent, LIKE THAT.

I was just wondering if anyone else has run into this situation.

2. mybluespector

mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    All oil finesh basses should be waxed! Spector recomends butchers bowling alley wax! You can pick it up and just about any lumber store. I got mine at lowes. Just aply it to the bass and let it dry,will kinda get a haze look to it! Then take a soft clean cloth and buff it! It will put a nice hard finesh on the body to protect it. The can is white and orange. Sounds like it hasnt had a good wax job for a long time! I would get on that like NOW! It will stop that problem. I wax mine about once every month or so. If you cant find that then go to a music store that sells warwicks and see if they have any bees wax. Its ALOT more expensive but it will work !

3. F*#$NA4

F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago
    That totally slipped my mind, I got it new out of the box, and I thought, gee this seems dry, man Im stoopid. Anyways, im gonna roll up to the hardware store and pick some up.

THANKS A BUNCH

4. mybluespector

mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    Thats the nice thing about this sight! Dont need to figure out crap the hard way! Make sure you oil that neck as well!