Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LizardKing45, Apr 18, 2001.

1. I was in Manny's music in NYC last weekend, and something bothered me very much. It was a real treat for me to be in new york, because they have such a large selection of basses. The first bass i saw was a stunning spector, it was entirely quilt maple, with a rosewood (i think) fingerboard. It was a five string with EMG or bartolini pups(i think, this was a week ago, im just going by memory). It said it was handmade by Spector, and it carried a hefty pricetag, somewhere in the 1500 range. I picked it up, and it was surprisingly light, and boy was i excited about trying this puppy out. Buy, to my dismay, the neck played like a baseball bat. The barrel end. It was huge and clunky. Now i am one who loves a big neck, I am very fond of Stingray and P-Bass necks, as well as the monster Ibanez ATK neck. I have quite large hands, but this neck was just awkward. It almost felt like my fingers couldn't curl around it to get to the fretboard. Anyone else have this problem with spectors? Or was it just the model i was playing?

2. I own two five string and one four string CR Spectors. My hands are average sized and I have absolutely no problems at all.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, it depends on how fat of a neck you're comparing it to. I always thought the Stingray has a fatter neck than my Spector:confused: In fact, if I remember correctly, when Bass Player Magazine did a review of the 4-string in the mid-1990's, they said the neck was somewhere in-between a Jazz and Precision neck, in terms of measurements.

It is possible that the Spector you played had a very large radius. I think Spectors do, where Stingrays and Fenders. A general feeling about fretboard radius is that the smaller the radius, the more comfortable the instrument is to play. That is, of course, strictly subjective; though, it definitely makes a difference in how an instrument feels. My inclination is to think this is what you were feeling, though I could be wrong.

BTW: It's pretty rare to find Spectors fit with Bartolinis. He uses EMGs as standard.

4. Yes, RAM, you hit it right on the head. The radius was bigger making it feel a bit awkward. And now that i think about it, the pups were EMG.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The bass you're talking about is an NS-2 JCM. An American bolt on. I played that one & I thought the neck felt fine, I didn't remember disliking it. It's all personal opinion.

Across the street @ Sam Ash, they have an American neck thru NS-4 that I think the neck is a total BAT, more like Cpt. Caveman's Club!!!!! & it has price of $3200!!!!!! I have the same model & the neck on mine is 100x better!!!!

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Geez! I can't do that...in my tiny little town (Chicago) I can't seem to find anyone with a single Spector in stock, except maybe the Korean ones:(

I was under the impression that Spector used the same specs on all his necks. Interesting to know...

7. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    He does, but their hand made & not all are exactly alike. This particular one, I didn't like & I've played a few other USA models & the feel pretty much the same.

Also, it could of been a special order that someone back out of. He might of wanted a different neck.

8. Having hands which are admittantly on the small sideI ended up with a Fender Jazz back in '76 when I started playing.
    I was a bit concerned about the width and profile of my NS2000-5 neck when I got it a year ago. h'ver It has worked out just fine.

I think that necks are just as subjective to feel as any other part of evaluating how a bass fits each of us. I would think one would have to seriously try to get used to it before just saying no-way to an other wise awesome(Spector!!) bass...

just my .02

9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I agree. Sam Ash has had the bass for @ least 2 yrs & I've played it a bunch of times & it's not for me. To bad it's @ Sam Ash. The bass has some abuse. :(