1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spector Nikki Sixx Thunderbird - Warmoth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whitee96, Aug 21, 2012.

1. whitee96

whitee96

May 7, 2012
    Hungary
    Hi Guys! I want to build a Reverse Thunderbird with PJ pups (like the Spector that Nikki Sixx has), but I have some questions.
    1. Is the EMG PJ pups are better than the S.Duncan PJ pickups in a T-bird? (I think Nikki has EMG on his Spector)
    2. The Fernandes clone has bolt-on neck is that cool or the Neckthru is better?
    3. Is the 70's reposition jazz pu. better or the original for this?
    4. What kind of Bridge is the best for this if its has bolt on neck?

I think its a very very nice and cool bass. Sounds killer, I wish I have my own at the time.

[​IMG]

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    1- EMG are way better if the bass is a neckthru... it's a matter of enhanced frequencies of choice; Seymour Duncan's are better on a bolton bass for same reasons... so if you're talking of a bolton bass, go Seymour Duncan, a Thunderbird shouldn't be bolton (rather neckthru) so I'd suggest EMG P/J;
    2- the Fernandes clone is cool bolton, because Fernandes are cooler that way: they are capable of a unique attack of their own if boltons, attended it's not a proper Reverse Thunderbird configuration;
    3- again, '70s jazz bridge pickup is cool on a bolton P/J bass:
    it further enhances overall attack, not reknown characteristic of a neckthru one (which is sustain instead) whereas an originally positioned
    jazz pickup should be better;
    4- IMHO a HiMass bridge (e.g. Gotoh of different kind/shape)
    would work better on a bolton bass: sustain has to be found elsewhere, whenever there's no neck/body continuity.

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Too many subjective questions. Is anything better than anything else? Depends on who is listening.

Maybe tell is more about what kinda sound you like?

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Exactly

Also, #2 shouldn't matter if you're building it through Warmoth. They only do bolt on stuff.

5. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    +1 to all of that