1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

spector not sounding good.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by growler571, Mar 2, 2008.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Is it just me or as soon as the strings start to lose that new sound on spector basses the tone totally sucks. The strings on my bass are spector strings that came new from the factory. i bought the bass about a month ago and all the sudden it is just sounding like ****. What are your opinions for the best nickel strings to put on my spector? I use rotosound nickels on all my fenders, and my stingray and they give me the sound i want, but I am not sure what the best strings would be for a spector euro lx. Any suggestions please reply.

Thank You
    Sincerely growler571

2. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    That is every bass not just Spectors.

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I find the Spector stainless strings are way too harsh for my ears. I immediately swap them for DR Nickel Lo-Riders. They keep the tone and cut down the brittle harshness.

4. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Although they are not nickel, the best strings I have found so far for my Euro 5 are SIT Silencers. I tried half a dozen brands and these were by far the best. They made the bass come alive, not only for high end snap but low bass power as well.

I recently took the Silencers off and put them in the denatured alcohol soak. Put on a brand new set of DR Hi-beams and it was as if the bass became lifeless. Sure, they had plenty of high end but the sound was weak.

Seriously, give them a try and play them for a couple days and you will see what I mean.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1

You've got to stay on top of it, dead strings just sound pap!

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Lies. I hate new strings. I change 'em when I break one, or when they become a biohazard, whichever comes first.

7. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    +1 on the Dr Nickel Lo-Riders. Easily my favorite strings. Sound great for a fair amount of time and are easy to play.

8. If you're a "new string" guy, then you simply need to keep looking for a brand you like and accept that you're going to spend a shipload of money replacing strings. But if that's what makes ya happy, it's a lot cheaper than smoking!

If you're an "old flats" guy like me, you simply install them and play them forever, unless until one breaks or the bass outlives you.

I know which plan sounds best to me.

9. davidmpires

davidmpires

Aug 5, 2007
    London
    I use Elixir and they sound great.

10. Here's another +1 for the DR Nickel Lo-Riders. I've put them on my Spector Euro5LX and love 'em. Great feel and great sound with a nice midrange growl. I'm using the .125" B string and it's plenty tight. I like the balanced sound between it and the .105" E string.

BTW, I first tried the same set in Stainless Steel and didn't like them at all. Coarse feel and a harsh, pingy metallic sound. The Nickel Lo-Riders are a completely different string.

11. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    100% spot on except this guy is looking for the brighter tone associated with new strings.

12. Lakland55

Lakland55

Dec 13, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    After using Elixirs on all of my basses I've started trying out new brands of strings. Try out the Ernie Ball Slinky's, they seem to hold up well.

13. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Special Message to the OP:

S.I.T. SILENCERS!

Trust me! Seems every bass has a string that just works with it. Of the strings I have tried so far these are the absolute best for a Spector Euro.

Tell you what. Buy a set and play them for a couple days. Come back to this thread and post your thoughts.

If you don't think they work for this bass, I'll buy them from you.

14. I like DR hi-Beams on my Spector.

All strings lose that new string sound. I've tried cheap strings that I could afford to change more often but I prefer a set of expensive strings and I play them for a year or until the G string breaks.

Marcus Miller has a story on his myspace where he would go through the garbage at a famous studio that he worked at because he knew of a session bass player that threw away his strings every 3 days.

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I can't say which brands are the best, but I've put the following brands of nickel roundwounds on my Spector, and all of them have sounded great:

D'Addario XL's
    GHS Boomers
    Ernie Ball Slinkys
    LaBella Slappers

16. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    I've got a Spector with Sadowsky nickels, one with DR Fat Beams, and another with DR Sunbeams and they all sound pretty good to me. The Fat Beams on a ReBop 5 with a DC and CS EMG actives really get bright.

I guess this is a stupid question but did not see it in any of the other posts.

Did you check the battery to be sure it is fresh?

They seem to last a long time in a Spector, but just to be sure?????

17. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    me too, there's something about dead old roundwounds that just seems right to me...

18. the spector euro's seem to have quite a bright, slightly scooped sound, so any string that has good mids should really bring out the growl from the maple (try stay away from really bright sounding strings with this bass IMO)

19. dasto

dasto

Sep 15, 2007
    Switzerland
    I'm very happy with DR fat beams on my spector euro 4crfm:hyper:

20. I had Elixer nanoweaves on mine when they still made them for 5-stringers. Those are good strings. I tried D'Addarios on my Legend and though it was way too harsh. Right now I have D'Addario flats on it for my jazz group and I get a nice smooth sound after I eq a bit. For my NS 2000 and Euro I have Spector nickels on them and I think they sound great. They've been on there for a while now and still have good life to them!