Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector NS-2 (A?) Questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by stettoman, Sep 8, 2003.

1. In 1989 I received as a gift a new Spector (yes, Kramer era)Cherry red NS-2 neck-thru w/black hardware. My benefactor never gave me any documentation on the guitar, and being as I was on the road and living a less "regimented" lifestyle, I never thought to inquire...The bass has no serial # anywhere on it. I don't suppose there is a way to find one without the docs, right?

Also, after 14 years of blissful ownership I've found that the neck is slowly twisting from about halfway up to the nut. After closer scrutiny I found that the grain on the neck is slightly diagonal against it. The grain of the rosewood fretboard is also not straight up the neck. I'm assuming the worst, but I have to ask here; Is there a remedy short of sawing the neck off and installing a bolt-on?

The bass still plays well, for now at least, but this twist wasn't there a few years ago.

The first Spector (NS-2) I ever played had the serial # 00017 and I've never played such a marvelous instrument. A friend who manages a large music store in Colorado tells me that if I can find the serial # on this one I may have warranty coverage, even after all this time. I doubt it, but would like to find out for sure...

Thanks for any help.

2. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    If you can't find the serial number it's probably then ns-2a as they were stamped on the electronics cover. very easy to switch them out and pawn it off as the NS-2. Does it have the block inlays or the dots? BA bridge? what kind of electronics?

Dan

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Spector is probably best qualified to handle their own instrument, but there are remedies short of a new neck. It may be possible to straighten the neck with heat. This, thought, is still not a simple repair.

4. ...I had the cover off yesterday. Other than the shielding tape I saw no number, unless it's under the tape.

Yep, dot inlays, a Spector BA style bridge (not sure if BA made it or not, "Spector" is stamped on it), "Spector" pickups (EMG?), though I replaced the Jazz position with a Bartolini several years ago. The electronics befuddle me, the circuitboard takes up the entire floor of the cavity and there are two 9v battery terminals wired in parallel (a redundancy setup?).

I'd hate to even try heat on this neck and risk further damage. I just don't know enough about the process. There is a luthier in town, though I don't know how good he is. I posted here out of hope that you guys have run across this problem before. The cross grain concerns me that the twisting process may not have run it's full course yet.

I'll check under the shielding tape and let you know. Thanks for the replies.

<edit> I'm going to inquire to Spector as well. Maybe Stuart will take pity on my poor soul and come up with magic...:bassist:

5. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    Well, it is definitely a NS-2A. All the NS-2's had the block inlays and a lot of them had the hazlab 18 volt preamp. The serial number would be stamped on the backside of the electronis cover..it would be totally visible if you just looked at the back of your bass. The control cover might have been changed out...I also doubt that a USA Spector would have the neck warp like that..I am no luthier but I would think they would make sure that kind of stuff wouldn't happen. But the NS-2A being korean, anything could happen..I have to say though that the 2A is a great bass..plays wonderful. This is a good reason to not get a Neck through:) I prefer bolt ons myself just cause its replaceable and I like the sound too. Good luck with your bass though, I hope they can fix it. Spector is great, they should be able to help you out.

Dan

6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Not completely correct. Many NS2's had dot inlays, instead of the "Crown/Hourglass inlays. Some had actual BadAss bridges also, but they were obvious as they had the BadAss logo.

The NS2A had a sticker (believe it or not) inside the control cavity or on the inside of the control cover (that's why yours, like many others, is missing) for the serial #. A true NS2 should have it on the back of the headstock.

Another sign that it's an NS2A is the pickup covers will say "Spector" or "EMG select", which are the same pickups with different covers, similar to the current "EMG-Hz".

Not all NS2As were Korean. Some were made in Japan.

Good Luck

Hey stettoman,
    I bought my first Spector from Gary Emerson music in Grand Forks in 1987 (I grew up in Bismarck and lived in Grand Forks on 2 occasions). Marguarite's in Moorhead didn't have any.:bawl: ;)

7. Marguerite's still doesn't!

The music store scene here has really gone limp since I first moved away in '80, not that it was ever really hopping. The venues for the local bands have all but dried up and blown away, so the market in general has dwindled. This area used to host some really great bands too...:bawl:

Thanks for the help, guys. I hope my inquiry to Spector generates as enlightening a resonse...