Spector NS-2000/5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afroman, Aug 3, 2001.

1. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    At last I have the money to buy my first 5-stringer. My budget goes up to $800, and I want a new bass (not used). I have fallen in love with the Spector NS2000 neck-through 5. The problem is that I haven't played one and no store here in Puerto Rico sell Spector. So I would have to buy from MF or another internet store. I've looked at reviews of the Spector basses and they all seem to be very good. I love the Spectors features: active EQ, necktrough, carved contoured body, 35" scale. The only bad thing I've herad of Spector is that the string spacing is tight. How tight is it? I've played, Warwick, Yamaha, Fender, Squier, Washburn, Ibanez and a Stingray 4. Is the Spector string-spacing similar to any of those brands? I don't mind having to get used to the Spector's tight spacing if it sounds awesome. My main concern isabout Spector's reliability. Since I will be buying from the internet, I dont want to have to return the bass since I would have to pay for the shipping. Is Spector reliable? Should I take the chance? Are the NS2000 series worth it? Sorry for all the questions, but I need all the help I can get.

Please help!!

P.D. My rig consists of an Epiphone T-bird IV, SansAmp BD DI, Hartke 3500 and Peavey 410TVX. I play mostly latin rock, american rock, ska, reggae, pop, etc.
  2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Dude buy the bass! Its awsome!
  3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i have a spector and i don't think the string spacing is narrow at all. I slap and pop a ton and i have no problem, and i have pretty big hands. Mine isn't a fiver though so maybe those are different. I couldn;t be happier with my spector, neck through, active electronics, its great. I do have one preoblem though, ive never seen one like mine before, and it hasnt been modified at all. If this is a spector thread i'm gonnna see if any of you know what my bass is. Its a cherry sunburst neck through. It has all black hardware, and the real big bridge like the americans. It has a P and J pickup configuration, and they are active. Its got 4 controls and ones volume, i'm, not sure what the rest do really. I was told that it was made in the kramer factory in the us during the late 90's. SO does this make it an american spector?? any help would be appreciated.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

hyperlitem, if it was made in the USA at the Kramer factory like you were told, it is indeed a US Spector.

They were made first by Stuart Spector, then Kramer bought the brand and made them in house, until they went under. There are also some transitional models that say SSD instead of Spector, and the current new USA Spectors.

I am not a Spector expert, so I don't know about the PJ pickups. Maybe Riz, Mr. Dead or one of the other Spector guys can help you.

Afroman, the Spectors made in Korea are good basses for the price, obviously not quite as good as the Czech's, or near as good as the USA models, but they are good basses for the price. As far as the string spacing, the 5's are a little wider spacing than an Ibanez Soundgear, but not as wide as a Fender Jazz.
  5. The Korean built, Kramer era NS-2A featured non-figured maple body, black hardware, "Spector" p/j pickup configuration. They were actually built from '86-'90. Does this sound familiar?
  6. BTW, you can go to the Spector website at www.spectorbass.com then go to the "history" page. You can check the serial number of your bass and find out what model you indeed have. Good luck!!!