1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector NS-2A Early vs. Late Models?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LimaGuy, May 12, 2011.

1. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    Attn: Spector Fans
    From what I have read and seen online, I understand the early versions of the Import NS-2A's had identical curved bodies as the NS2. At the end of the production the Import NS-2A's were made at the Samick factory and the body is curved on the front but not curved o the back side.

Any opinions on feel, playability and overall quality? If I had a choice, which should I buy?

2. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

I own both the Kramer NS2A and the Samick NS2A, but I cant compare the sound of them because my Kramer has active EMG's and a EMG pre, and the Samick has the stock Spector pickups with the active pre. But I can say that my Kramer has a slimmer neck profile than the Samick. They are both neck-thru, but the Samick body is not contoured on the top nearly as much as the Kramer is, and the Samick woodgrain is not quite as nice. To me, the differences are pretty much cosmetic because they are both great basses.The Samick plays great and sounds great too...still has that killer Spector P/J growl.

3. Jeff 66

Jeff 66

Nov 5, 2009
    I've never had a chance to play one of the Samicks, but my old Kramer-era NS-2A is still one of my favorite basses of all time.

All things being equal, I think I would opt for the concave back over the flat back.

4. Thundar

Here is my blue Samick...kinda looks like Ash dont it?

Attached Files:

5. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    Thundar Thanks for the photo and the neck comparison info.

Jeff 66, question for you, I see in your profile you have a Euro 4LX. I just got a Euro 4LX last month and it is my Fav bass of all time. I cant afford another one, thats why I am going for a NS2A. How is the feel of the NS2A compared to the Euro 4LX?

6. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    One more question, may be stupid but I am new to Talkbass. How do I get into one of the Spector Clubs?

7. Thundar

Lima, you will need to send a pvt msg to whoever is handling the Spector Club thread now...I dont know if anyone is though. And just an FYI, I know you didnt ask me, lol, but I have had 2 Euro 4LX's, and I think the NS2A neck is very similiar...however NS2A's can differ quite a bit.

8. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    Thanks Thundar, very helpful.