Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector NS-2A Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fishinmuzician, Mar 21, 2005.

1. I'm new to Spectorland ..... just picked one up as my #4. I love the way it plays & feels, but it could use a bit of an upgrade in the sound dept. I currently play an Alembic Essence & a couple Fenders through an SVT. I'm not necessarily looking to match the sound of those basses, but I'm not quite pleased with the sound of the stock pickups.
    Direct replacements would be nice, but I can deal with some modifications. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I always liked the sound of real EMG's. But if you want a good woody warm sound, get some bartolinis.

3. Thanks for the advice! Can I assume the Bartolinis connect directly to the preamp board?

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I'd upgrade to EMG's if it already hasn't been done and get an EMG BQC preamp. Then you'll have a wide range of tonal possibillties. I had a Spector with Bart's in it once and it just didn't sound right, almost muddy. Spectors are made to have a bite to them.

5. Thanks, Firk. I just checked out the BQC ... love the pickup blend instead of the separate volume controls. I recently rewired my Geddy Jazz that way & it made for a very pleasant improvement. I'll let you know what I do & how it turns out.

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    the blend is nice to have, especially if you like to do swells or like one pickup better than the other like i do. :smug: