1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector NS-2J vs. Warwick Dolphin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SgtKoi, Feb 16, 2008.

1. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    Hi,

This could be another Spector vs. Warwick thread, but I've never seen a spector vs. a dolphin. I do not like EMG's or MEC pickups, so I would change those out. I also don't like the Spector Tonepump and the Warwick preamp. Of course, this bass would be for funk and some hard rock. But, I'm still deciding on other basses, not just the NS and the Dolphin

Thx

Roy

2. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    bump

3. fishsome

fishsome

Dec 17, 2003
    Chicagoland Area
    Both are great basses. I have a buddy that has a dolphin and it is an amazing bass. I have a spector Euro where I love the EMGs but I didn't really care for the tonepump nor the BQC-system that I got the bass with. So I put a Pope preamp in it and now it meets all my expectations. As for the Warwick I owned a 4 string Thumb neck through, a 1990 one I believe. That was one of the best basses I ever owned. But personally I kept coming back to the Spectors. So if you're going to gut the bass (replace pickups and electronics) then I guess you need to find which one feels better to you and plays better.

If you don't want to all that crap I'd say for rock and funk a Spector would be pretty good. I don't or haven't (personally) seen many rock and funk players with a Dolphin, not saying that it wouldn't be possible.
    Good luck :)

4. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    tough one. I'd be quite happy with either. I'd probably go with a dolphin myself, as I'm more inclined to Warwicks, and I like neckthroughs. The Dolphin is much more expensive though.

5. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    wow we will have a lot in common! I'm GASing for a Pope preamp!

6. fishsome

fishsome

Dec 17, 2003
    Chicagoland Area
    Haha, well I can tell you its money WELL spent. The Euro is a very inexpensive yet GREAT bass. The pope pre in it just pushes it to whole new levels. Honestly, my $900 Euro plays and feels MUCH greater then my friends Dolphin (not trying to knock Dolphins) but the neck profile and feel is much better to my tastes.

7. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    how much was the pre?

8. routasydän

routasydän

Apr 25, 2006
    Oulu, Finland
    Wow, so you're thinking about buying an expensive bass from which you have have to change the electronics as soon as you get it. Can't you possibly find anything in that price range that you woudn't have to change anything (at least in the beginning). Or maybe you could order the dolphin with bartolinis or seymor duncans?

9. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    Well, I'm thinking about buying a Dolphin used if I were to get it. I truly love Spectors, but they all have EMG's and Tonepumps. But I'm still looking for suggestions. Maybe Lakland, I don't know.

10. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I've been gassin for a Dolphin for years. Do own a euro5 though.

Between a euro and a Dolphin, take the dolphin, unless you're talking about a US NT spector (I would be soooo confused to decide).
    I think those are about closer in price/quality.

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    The US bolt-ons come standard with Aggie OBP-3's and the NT's come with Spector preamps not the Tonepumps.

12. fishsome

fishsome

Dec 17, 2003
    Chicagoland Area
    Well another thing to factor in is that Dolphins are really heavy. I know you probably don't care now or for the next 10 years but eventually your back will unless you get the extra wide straps (and even then). But yeah, check out Laklands. If I get a new bass that will most likely be it, a 4-94. Those things IMO can dial in just about any tone you want. But I still recommend the Euro with the Pope lol.

13. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    One of the BEST sounding basses i ever played was a used warwick dolphin with bart pups and guts. It was in a GC in Ft worth TX a few years back. Felt superb as well... i could have cried because i couldn't afford it at the time. They only wanted 800 for it, wich i thought was rediculously low. The bass was gone in a few days and it will forever be the one that got away. I bet this didn't help your decision..... lol, good luck man.

14. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    The only thing about a Euro is the P/J pickups config. which I'm not a huge fan of. Also does any1 know a place in So Cal where there will be Spectors and Warwicks and such to compare?

15. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    'Wick FTW.

16. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007

17. fishsome

fishsome

Dec 17, 2003
    Chicagoland Area
    I don't know where you can compare both where you're from but go check some Laklands out. The J MM config is really impressive and the price for a 44-02 is very affordable, especially if you find a used one.

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd go for the Spector. They are a far superior bass imo!

19. I skipped the thread so forgive me, but I have to ask; If you're against the pickups, and the pre amp, why don't you buy something else that you like? Unless you're absolutely in love with the idea of a Spector. I see you've made a Lakland thread too so I'd say go Lakland since you like the MM pup's versatility.