SPECTOR NS-4 bass..........vs PEDULLA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hkbassist, Feb 1, 2001.

1. hkbassist

Jan 30, 2001
    Are spector NS-4 made in USA????
    How to distinguish EUROPEAN series from USA made series????

is it good compare with PEDULLA bass?
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm the proud owner of a Spector NS-4. Beautifully made, in every respect. It has the most comfortable neck I've come across. It has a belly contour for those of us who are a little convex in that particular region. It has versatility beyong all (of course this is my opinion). It's made extremely well, and has a bite in the sound that just makes it such a pleasure to not only play, but also listen to!

The Pedulla? Not a bad bass. But, I think that it's a totally different world. Admittedly, I have't played one in a while, but I don't remember it being quite as fun to play as the Spector. The Pedulla is a fine bass, but IMHO, it doesn't have quite "the" sound.

Other differences I've seen with the NS-4 that I didn't notice in the Pedulla is that the Spector NS-4 uses AAAA flame maple bodies...NOT tops, but the entire body is maple. And, a very high grade, at that! I don't know what Pedulla is, but I'm positive it's not solid maple.

In regards to the Europe series Spectors, I think the main difference is that the grade of maple is lower. That should not affect on the sound in any way, however. Also, it's made overseas. But, it's made to the exacting specifications of Stuart Spector. In fact, I once heard that he had difficulty telling the difference between a Czech model and his own USA model. Of course, he autographs his USA models:D
  3. hkbassist

Jan 30, 2001
    I am considering to buy EUROPEAN series or USA series,THE PRICE IS REALLY a big deifference.........
    but how about the quality????????
    is it really big difference?
  4. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    I was at the bassday 2000;I have tryed a NS-4 there.
    It is one of the greatest basses I have ever played(and I have played many!),and of course the most beautifull.If you are looking for a modern sounding 4 string,you could have doubts,only if you compare the Spector to a Fodera.
    The only things I didn't like of the Spector was the Neck joint:too much heavy bombing.
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Never played a Fodera...but, that sounds like an interesting proposition...;)
    What do you mean by "too much heavy bombing":confused:? I think the neck is very stable.:)
  6. Joiner

Oct 12, 2000

go with the Europe Series. They are practically the same, but there are some differences:

- No option to get Piezos
    - Lower Figuring Grade of the Maple
    - Rosewood Fingerboards instead of Pao Ferro
    - Made in the Czech Republic

Sound-wise, they are much the same. In the price class of the Spector, I would also try out some other basses. Just a few names: Sadowsky, Lakland, Lull, Warwick, Alembic.

Go on and try, and buy what YOU like best.

7. Of the Pedulla line, the Thunderbass would be the closest comparison to the NS Spector. With that in mind, The Thunderbass, US NS and CR NS basses all excellent in tone and playability.
    Here's the US and CR NS Spector comparisons (US noted first)
    AAAA grade figured maple compared to AA (looks nicer)
    Pao Ferro fingerboard compared to Rosewood
    US has more color options
    $3700 and up list price compared to $1800 (4) and $2000 (5)
    Being an owner of a 4 string US and two 5 string Czech Republic 5's I can honestly say that the Czechs can hang with the US in the tone quality department.
    The Pedulla Thunderbass is a really great sounding and playing bass as well. The advantage for the Pedulla is lighter weight. Of course they don't have the carved backs
    like the Spectors. Theit list price starts at $2700.
    Being that all the basses are top notch, the CR Spector is the best value so I'd highly recommend it. You might find a good deal on them at http://www.musiciansfriend.com
  8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I believe that another difference is that the new USA Spectors have 18 volt electronics in them for more headroom. I remember playing some pre-Kramer Spectors in the '80's that were wonderful. The only Spector I've played recently was a 35" scale five-string with a bolt-on neck, an ash body and EMG pickups; J at the neck, humbucker at the bridge. It had the punchiest sound of any fretless I've ever heard and a woody, growling midrange. The Pedulla Rapture and Thunderbass are also wonderful.
  9. Yes, the NS-4, NS-5 and NS-6 fitted with EMG humbuckers have the 18 volt preamp. However, the NS-2 with the P/J EMG setup are fitted with the 9 volt preamp. The 18 volt preamp does add headroom though some feel that the dynamics are a bit subdued.