Spector NS 4 Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flytoo, Dec 18, 2001.

1. flytoo

Dec 18, 2001
    I saw a Spector NS 4 at my local music store that I really really liked. It had a black cherry finish with gold tuners and a gold bridge, just beautiful, IMHO. Anyway, I currently own a 1999 Fender American Standard Jazz that plays nice and sounds good. If I decide to pursue the Spector, I will need to trade my Jazz in on it. My question is should I do it? I don't want to give up quality just for good looks. Are there any Spector players out there who can help? I'd like to know what you think of Spector and if you like their basses. Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I don't own a spector, but MAN would I love to.

If the spector you are talking about is made in the Czech Republic, then it is a sweet bass. If Korean, well... I'd hang onto the Fender. If US, well, those are VERY NICE! And expensive.

Going Value: About $950 in the Orion Blue Book. (I've seen em go for about $700 usually).
  3. Bluebomber

May 2, 2000
    I have a spector....
    it feels amazing....
    i havent found anything that comes close....
    but tone isnt for me...very punchy, but not as tight as the fender...sounds good on the slap though...
    i just bought a musicman...and i dont really like that too much...so im gonna trade it for an american standard jazz...but i say the spectors are great guitars...but for me i cant get over the fender sound...
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It sounds like you tried a Spector NS-4 CR (European {Czech} series) bass. I have one of them & a USA NS-2. I feel that the Czech Spectors are very close in quality, workmanship & sound to the USA Spector which cost twice as much. The USA does have certian egdes that menk it better, but the Czech is AWESOME.

That being said, if I were you, I'd bring my Jazz to the store & do an A/B with both basses. They're both VERY DIFFERENT basses.

Personally, I wouldn't sell the Jazz. I'd buy the Spector & have both. If you can't afford that route, & you still want the Spector, MAKE SURE in you're heart that you're doing the right thing. I hate it wen I sell a bass & regret it later. :(

Good luck w/your decision.
  5. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    depends if you want that classic Fender "warmth" or the even better (IMFO :D) Spector "grrrrrowl". personally, i feel that the Jazz is the only bass that Fender make which is worth considering - they're great, and i want one too, except i have a Spector :eek: i have the Korean model however, which is not really on par with the higher-budget Czech varieties - but i can tell you that you will cream your panties when you hard-pluck on a Spector :D
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have 2 basses: a MIM Jazz and a US Spector NS4. My opinion on the Spector is that it is everything I want in a bass!:D

When I solo the neck pickup, I get a very modern, yet warm P-bass sound. When I adjust the blend to slightly favor the bridge pickup, tapering off the treble a touch, I get a really woody Jazz sound. When both pickups are full-on, I get a really modern, full tone, fat tone that just kicks everything else out of the water! It's really a very versatile-sounding bass:D

About the construction: the neck is so incredibly stable that I've almost never adjusted the truss rod! That's quite a feat, since I live in Chicago, where the environment causes my Fender's neck to shift periodically.

The bottom line is, if I could only have one bass, it'd be a Spector NS-4.
  7. The Spectors are very nice sounding and well built basses. Take Nino's advice, take the Fender to the store and compare with the Spector. Also keep in mind that the Spector at the store may not have fresh strings or a new battery (some music stores don't up keep even their expensive basses).

Please let us know the outcome!
  8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    SPECTOR! o man. i own a p-bass right now, and their all i have ever used in my band......then i tryed out a spector...even the Pro series kicks major butt! O man.........once i got the catalog and saw the usa black-blue spector on the cover.....there was no going back. get this. im GETTING A JOB to get a pro series bass. that should tell you somthing, well, it would if you knew me anyway.
  9. Excellent choice, great bass! However, if I may suggest, you should try out the Euro Series Spectors. They sound just as good for half the price. They really do (I bought 3 Euros brand new). That way you could get 2 Spectors (gotta have a backup) for the price of one. The new leaf green transparent gloss stain over figured maple body Euro Spectors look killer!

The Korean made Spectors are good too but I wouldn't compare them to the Euro and USA models.

Good luck and keep us to date on your progress.
  10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    ALRIGHTY! Are you talking about the Czech made spectors? I dont know if you were, but, Well, you got me thinking. i WAS only going to get a pro series (Korean made) spector. Not a usa one. but now. i have figuerd out that i dont have to pay off anything when i get my job. all money goes strait to my bass fund. SO WHY THE HECK NOT GET A Czech made spector! I dont know. im just talking now. But I cant find a 4 string Czech without the p/j config. so maybe ill just get the korean and pop some actives in it? The dude from spector told me what i would have to do to do that....
  11. flytoo

Dec 18, 2001
    Well, I worked up the nerve to go back and try out that NS 4 (Czech made). It was very nice but like you guys said, it's a whole different animal than my Jazz. I did like it but, not enough to trade my Jazz away for it, (what can I say, I guess I'm just from the old school). HOWEVER, if I had the money to burn (which I don't) I would buy one, no doubt about it. I think it is definately a quality instrument. Thanks for all of your help!
  12. Polly Bass,
    True, the 4 string Czechs don't offer the EMG humbuckers. However, I guarantee that even if you buy the Korean NS-2000 that even after you replace the stock pickups that it still won't be as full sounding as the Czech w/ the EMG P/Js.
    I A/B'd them myself. I have a 4 (as well as two 5's) and matched my 4 against someone's NS-2000-4 w/ replacement active EMGs and the NS-2000 still didn't seem to have the oomph my Czech does. My advice would be to get a Czech but if you have your heart on the humbucker thang then you'll have to get the NS-2000-4. Good luck!!!

You're right, the Spector are not for the old school sound (even though Spectors originated in '76). Perhaps you could save your coins and such and buy one in the future. That way you have old school and a more modern school sound.
  13. Bottom Line: Get what makes YOU happy.

Personally, I own a NS2000-5 and just love it. I still have my '77 Jazz that I bought new. Couldn't get rid of it, as my Spector and Jazz are two very different sounds.

No doubt the Czech Spectors are very delicious, but the neck-thru NS2000's aren't that bad either, heck if they were I wouldn't still(after almost two years of owning it) have dudes coming up to the stage asking me If that's a Spector I'm playing, or, "man that bass sounds sweet.."

as always, just my .02
  14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, im not really rolling in money. so i guess ill get the NS2000/4 pro series. anyone else notice in the catalog that what they list as an NS2000/5 Is a picture of one of the preformance basses? the red one, to be exact. I think ill like the EMG-HZ's just fine. ill save a Czech made spector till i move out. i mean, im only 17 for lords sake!
  15. The new bolt-on Czech's debut and may be worth checking out. They feature the Aguilar OBP-1 18 volt preamp and offer the same finishes as the Czech neck throughs. I believe the "Spector Re-Bops" on the www.musiciansfriend.com site are the new bolt-on Czechs. Czech them out!
  16. Pollybass,

Just make sure what you end up with is what you really feel is best for you.

I remember when I was kickin it at age 17, ahh those were the daze, thats also when I started to learn how to play. And I will be the first to say that at 17 coming up with the $$$ for a good quality bass that you'll be proud to hang onto is tough.

I sweated getting the $400.00 together to buy my Fender Jazz back in Feb '78............I wonder how much that would be in 2001 w. inflation? anyway,

Mr Dead pointed out a great alternative to the neckthru Czech Spectors, h'ver, still over a grand...
    But! Look at what you are getting overall in the bass.

Personally I have a "crush" on the neck-thru Czech Spectors myself, but to each his own!

The NECK THRU NS2000 series is a great place to "come on board & join the family" of Spector owners here at TB.

Just remember: the NS2000 "Q" series has a BOLT-ON neck & Flat-slab body. The Neck-Thru NS2000's have the original ergonomiclly carved body synonymous with Stuart Spector since the beginning.

Good Luck and keep us posted!
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And that is why the Q series is not in the same class as the neck through Koreans. The Q series has about as much in common with the American Spectors as a Squier does with a Custom Shop Fender.

The NS2000/4 and 5 are very similar to the Czech and American Spectors, they are just made in a different factory with less expensive materials.
  18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Are they shaped the same? in the new catalog, they look the same as the preformance series. and i dont like that. I was going to get a Czech made spector just because of the body shape. maybe they posted a picture of the bolt-on series just for the catalog. So what you are saying is that the neck-thru Pro Series is much better than the "Q" series? Is that why they cost so much more?
  19. The frontal body shape of the NS-2000 series and the Q series are the same shape. Besides the 2000 series being neck through and the Q series being bolt on construction, the difference is that the back of the 2000 series is carved for better ergonomics as where the back of the Q series is completely flat. This process is more time consuming so it will add to the cost of the bass.
    Both the 2000 and Q series body styles are offset from the original NS body style.

The new bolt on Czechs have the same body styles as the neck through Czechs and US series. I'm not sure if the backs of the Czech bolt ons are carved or flat (I don't recall if the US bolt ons are carved or flat either).

Lastly, there are some remaining 1999 (still brand new) neck though Czech 5s (NS-5CR) available in either solid black or solid red finishes for $999 available at www.musiciansfriend.com that you may consider too. The quality of the wood, electronics and hardware is superior on the Czechs over the Korean made NS-2000s. It may be worth it to save a few extra $$$ for these discounted 1999 Czechs.
  20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Me thinks that would be a good idea. or just hold out for a Czech made-one. i wasent wanting to get one, because of the P/J Config on the 4 strings. but i played one recently, and it wasent like anything i expected. very nice. Then again. ill just have to see how the money flow is going to be like. IF IT JUST DIDNT HAVE THAT SHARP HORN! You know. the bodies look almost the same except for that one shap (er) horn. o well.