Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector NS 4 VS Cirrus VS Warwick Thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vegaas, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Peavey Cirrus - $1,100

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Warwick Thumb, used - $800

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. Spector NS4 - $1,500

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Hey guys,
    I promise this is definitly my last poll thread.
    I want to make sure I get the best bass possible for what I want to spend. This will be my last bass purchase for at least a couple of years, and I want to get it right.
    These are all 4 stringed instruments.
    I can get a Cirrus for about $1100, a Spector NS4 for about 1,500 and a used Warwick Thumb for about $800.
    So help me make my final decision, which will give me the bang for my buck.
    I appeciate all the help.
    Thanks,
    Vegaas

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Have you tried all three basses?

If I were you, I´d let my ears, feel and instinct be the judge.

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I'm torn between the Spector and Cirrus, those are my two main basses right now (NS4CR & Maple/Alder Cirrus 6).

I love the Spector for anything agressive, and it sounds awesome for snappy funk too. The way I EQ for playing with others, the active electronics on the Spector can sometimes sound a tad harsh when just playing solo. However, in a band situation, this bass has that ringing high end that sounds so sweet to me in a hard rock setting.

The Cirrus is more versatile overall, and can go from a nice deep rock tone to much more subtle genres with some quick onboard adjustments. The Cirrus has this great resonant quality to it, plenty of bottom, but with a great versatile tone.

They are both a pleasure to play, and consist of construction and materials that will stand the test of time. They both set up well too, in fact, the Cirrus sets up phenomenally well. Quiet electronics for recording, especially the Spector, which truly excels in recording applications. And while I can't speak for Peavey's customer service (never used), Spector has top notch support. There was nothing wrong with my bass, but I recently misplaced my NS4CR wrenches. I received an emailed response the very next day, and prompt delivery of new wrenches that same week. I give a big thumbs up to Stuart for both a fine instrument, and his accessible and responsive support.

I've never been a Warwick fan...

...but I don't think you can go wrong with a nice Spector or Cirrus.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that he must mean the NS4CR. If he knows where I can get NS4 USA's for $800, I want to know, because I am opening a bass store tomorrow if I can buy them for that!

5. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Unfortunatly I dont know alot about Spector.
    I saw it and tried yesterday at a music store.
    Its on sale from $2100 to $1500. I wrote down NS4, neck thru.
    I will go back today to get the exact details.
    I'll post after lunch when I get back from the music store.

6. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

speaking of the comfortable shape.... I recently bought a ns2000q 5 .. i don't notice anything special about the shape... is it just the contoured part the people are referring to? because my samick had the same thing..

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They are referring to the 'tummy cut' on the body, which the bolt on Spectors do not have. The neck through models have a concave back, which allows the bass to lie very comfortably against your body, especially if you have a rounded belly.

8. ...and if you open that store I will buy one from you! Think you could do a NS/5XL for, oh, $1000?

9. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

ahh, too bad .. I have a little beer pot that would fit one nicely. :D :D

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    If that Thumb is indeed a thumb-through, I'd go get it right now for $800.

If it is a bolt-on, made after '98 or with an ovangcol neck and anything other than a brass nut, then it's not really a great deal.

That's not an unheard-of deal on the Spector. I'd pick that over a late model Thumb bolt-on at these prices.

If the Cirrus were a fretless 5, it would be in the hunt.

11. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Well, I lost out on the Warwick. Its down to the Spector and the Cirrus.
    The Spector is a NSCRFM4.
    I bid on a Cirrus. The auction is over, I was high bidder but did not meet the reserve price. I have been trying to get in touch with the guy to find out what he would sell it for. But no luck yet.

12. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I got the Warwick Thumb 4 Bolt-On.
    I lost on the original one I was looking at, but found one at ebay today. I thought I was going to get it at $670, but someone bid against me in the last couple of hours of the auction. It ended up at $820.00. Oh well. I am happy.