1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector NS-5CR-FM vs. Legend Custom 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zanzibar Delgado, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Zanzibar Delgado

Zanzibar Delgado Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    San Diego, California
    I currently own a Legend Custom 5 (not to be confused with the Legend Classic), and I like it very much for what it is. Plays smoothly, sounds pretty good, etc.

However, someone on Craigslist in my area is selling an NS-5CR-FM for $800. I was wondering just how much better that bass would be, and if it would be worth a quick buy (I would selling my current bass to cut my losses). I'm leaning towards no, but I'd like to see what you guys think. It's hard to find good info on it on account of it's age.

As far as I can tell, it boils down to:

EMG-HZ vs. "real" EMG mystery pickups
    3-band EQ vs. 2-band
    Korean vs. Czech-made, for what it's worth
    Alder vs. maple body

Here's a link to the ad, if anyone's interested.

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I think you are on the right track. Those Legend Customs are nice instruments. Many prefer the higher-end Spector electronics, but that is a pretty easy upgrade.

Another difference is that - I think - the Customs are set-neck, not neck-through.

In the Euro's favor, those crown inlays are pretty cool.

3. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    hey, the link didn't come through, but it's a very good deal for a neck through Czech 5 string. Legends are very good basses, so only you can say whether its worth it. the Czech bass has a fully rounded and contoured body, brass nut, and significantly better electronics. they are great pro quality instruments, so it boils down to your money situation and whether or not it speaks to you. go check it out, couldn't hurt.

4. belimad

belimad

Mar 2, 2011
    London, UK
    I have an early (2000) NS-4CR-FM and I can say it beats the quality of a Legend hands down.
    This is what someone who knows Spectors much better than I do had to say about mine:

5. leemelone

leemelone

May 24, 2011
    ATL
    I have a 98 NS5 CR that I played hundreds of shows with and it never let me down. Great tone, never goes out of tune and it's built like a tank! :bassist:

6. Zanzibar Delgado

Aug 1, 2007
    San Diego, California
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. Sorry about missing the link; here it is:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/3526336611.html

How would you say it compares to a Warwick Corvette Proline 6? There's a nearby seller that I think I could wiggle down to a similar price. I've never owned a Warwick but I really like the look and recorded tones.

7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    That's a pretty smokin' deal, imo.

8. belimad

belimad

Mar 2, 2011
    London, UK
    I own both a Spector and a Warwick, and I would choose the Spector every time.

9. J-O

J-O

Jun 27, 2010
    Snag it. The CRFM's are a crazy good value for the money. I have a 4 and 5 string CRFM, and they are both awesome instruments.

10. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas
    oh my. snag that thing up. i wish i had $ and found a good deal like that at the same time. lucky you. dont waste another minute and pick that bass up. solid maple! oh yeah!

11. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Inactive

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    +1

That's an excellent deal on a great bass. I'd jump on it.

12. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    uh if you have 800 Jump both feet I had one and it was the best 5e r I ever played

13. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Assuming that you don't mind a gloss-finished neck, there is no comparison between a Legend and a Czech-made Spector. Snag it and enjoy.

And the "mystery EMG" pickups are most likely EMD 40DCs :)

14. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    My NS-5CR-FM was a 34" scale. I loved and should have never sold it. Damn GAS!

15. Zanzibar Delgado

Aug 1, 2007
    San Diego, California
    So assuming they're the same price, you would recommend the NS5CRFM over a Warwick Corvette Proline 6? I might make a new thread for this.

16. belimad

belimad

Mar 2, 2011
    London, UK
    As I said, i think Spector wins hands down. You are comparing a bass that is ~2k new to one that is 800 bucks or so.

17. Zanzibar Delgado

Aug 1, 2007
    San Diego, California
    Oh, I wasn't aware the price gap was so large. I'm just going to try them both out and see if I can get the Warwick seller to go down to a more reasonable price. He seems convinced the bass is worth $1000.

18. belimad

belimad

Mar 2, 2011
    London, UK
    Makes sense - seems like you are really much more interested in the Warwick than the Spector anyway...

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021