Spector NS-5XL or NS5 CRFM : Euro or US?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rich500ny, May 22, 2002.

1. Hi there,

I want to upgrade from my NS200/5 5 string neck through for better quality sound and workmanship.
    I play mainly Funk and Jazz.

Has anybody played both the Czech version and the US version of the 5 string? Is one better than the other

The NS5 CRFM Czech version is $1750 and the NS-5XL US version is $3000. Also is the extra $$$ justified for the US version?

NY City Rocks
  2. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I'm sure the regular Spector fans will weigh in, but I would say go for the Czech. While there are tangible advantages to the US model, I would reckon they are only slight gains when compared to the enormous price premium. That is to say, I think you get more for your money with the Czech model.

The US model would exhibit a more personal touch and refined craftsmanship. Soundwise though, I would bet most people couldn't tell them apart in a blind test. The Czech basses are put together extremely well though, wonderful build and sound!
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've owned both @ the same time. The USA one is better. It sounds, played & feels better. Has better grade figured maple, better (YMMV) pre-amp, the neck on the 4 or 5 USA's I've played felt better the the many Czech's I've played.

BUT, I don't think it's worth twice as much!!!!! But the Czech bass. It is a REALLLLLLYYYYYYY awesome bass. The craftsmanship is aweosmw. The quality id the parts use is top notch!!!!!
  4. You could always compromise and get a US Bolt-On, not much more expensive than the Czech, but I'm betting it plays a little better. If you really wanted a neck-thru though, I say the Czech.

BTW, what's your opinion on the 2000/5? I'm buying a REX 2000/5 soon, what's the sound like? I'll probably drop in some EMG 40CS's and convert it to 18V after I get it.
  5. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I've owned both of those bass only in a 4 string model. Personally, I like the feel of the neck on the Korean Neck thru's 4's (not bolt on's) better than the some USA's & Czech's I've played/owned. Slightly narrower & thinner. Also, I like the EMG-HZ's that were in these basses. The EMG BTS pre amp make the pick ups' sound really nice. I sold the NS-2000/4 cause I found an inexpensive NS-4 CR somewhere & I sold the REX 2000/4 because I REALLY couldn't get used to the body.

6. I haven't played both, but I doubt you'd be disappointed byt the Czech. I can't imagine spending $3000 on a bass, although I've got a Czech Spector and can't imagine much better. The Czech is a fantastic bass!!
  7. Thanks Nino. Are you normally at home with Thunderbird-shaped basses? I've never had a problem with them personally, but it might be the strange physics of my body :D. This one Gibson sat on a shop wall for 8 months before being bought, everybody hated the neck dive. Whenever I played it it was fine. Must be how I anchor my hand or something.

Also on the pickups, are you trying to say that the upgrade in electronics isn't worth it, or that I'll be surprised by the tone when I plug the REX in? :D
  8. I never had a problem with the REX2000/5 either! But I also have an LTD Explorer which I get on with just great! You will have to adjust your playing style a bit, but not much!

Your comment on the electronics in them - I think you'll be surprised at just how good the pickups in the REX are. I was!!
  9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    It's not a matter of being worth it or not. EMG's are great p/u's & I think the HZ's are really good p/u's, also. It already has an EMG pre-amp (BTS control) which does alot to enhance the pickup (HZ's). IMO, the EMG's are better than the HZ's & it would definitly be an improvement, but if it ain't broke....... :)

I've tried some Dean Edge basses that has tthe HZ's running passive & I think they sounded great passive, also.