Spector NS JH5CM or NS5CRFM????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Oct 11, 2002.

1. RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, Can anyone give me feedback on the following basses?

There really ain't that much of a price difference.
    I know one is bolt on, and one is neck through.
    Sound wise, i ain't sure which one would suit me?
  2. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Bolt ons usually have more attack while neck thru have more of a resonant sound...

ask Nino.. but i would go for the CRFM.. just imho...

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I've owned a half dozen Spectors and I really liked my bolt on USA 5 string. I'd say go for one of those. The neckthrough Czecks are nice too but are much heavier to play all night on stage

4. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I had one for a year... great bass... neck was a bit thin for my taste...

The NS5 JHCM has a few more tonal options with the dual coil/single coil bridge...

5. I had the USA bolt-on pretty recently, and an older Czech with the 34" scale. I liked them both. If I recall, the Czech seemed to be a little more aggressive with better cut than the bolt. The bolt was warmer-sounding. The Czech had the weird Spector bridge that's a little difficult to adjust while the bolt-on had a Hipshot bridge. That's all I remember.
  6. I own a USA 4-string bolt-on.

Just for kicks, I compared it to a Czech 5-string at Guitar Villa a few days ago. I was even considering offering my USA 4 in trade, because I'm in the market for a 5'er.

What I found, to my intense surprise, was that the B string of the Czech 5 was really dead-sounding and flabby!!!!

Weird. . . 35" scale, rigid neck, tilt-back headstock, flabby B. . . I couldn't believe it.

For me, the lesson was that neck-thru doesn't seem to be a great help for a 5-string.

7. Could have been a dead string !!!! I've got 3 Spector 5 strings - 2 of them Czech ones with the 34" scale, the B sounds fine to me!!! The last is a Korean with a 35" scale, nice sounding B!

Personally I'd go for the neck thru - but that's just me!
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally, I'd go for the USA BO.

1-You have an option of Ash or Maple bodies.
    I pleyed a few of the Ash bodied ones & they were lighter than any Spector I'v ever owned.

2-The neck felt alot nicer.
    It was thinner than the Czech. I feel that the Czeck necks are alittle too "clubby". The necks on the bolt on's were alot closer to the USA NS-5 I owned.

If the neck on the BO Spector 5 was alittle wider, I'd have one (or 2 ;))

Now we all know the plus's of the Czech Series. :)
    -Crown inlays
    -Beautiful figured maple bodies

I feel that these basses are almost as good as the USA Neck Thru series.