Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector NS-JH5CM (USA Bolt-on) -- Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lockout, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    How do these compare to other Spectors?

I've owned two Spectors, a Korean NS2000/5 that I bought around two years ago, and a Rebop5 that I bought last fall. I sold them both a few months ago to help pay for my Mike Lull Modern 5-string.

Ever since the Lull arrived, however, I've been having some issues with its sound and its feel, and I'm starting to think that it's really not the right bass for me. I find myself honestly missing the tone of my Rebop. It had a nice low-midrange growl that gave it a certain presence in the mix, and I haven't been able to reproduce anything like it with the Lull. The Lull also has a brighter sound than the Rebop did, and I don't particularly care for it.

So now I'm trying to weigh out my options. I've thought about selling the Lull and just buying another Rebop... However, I'd like to get something that's a bit more on par with the Lull in terms of quality and playability, while still being similar to the Rebop in terms of sound and general feel.

What I'd like to know is... would a Spector NS-JH5CM fit that description?

I'd appreciate hearing any of your opinions on these basses since, unfortunately, I have no way to play one prior to buying.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    IME the spector would be similiar to your rebop, but better.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, I figure that they've got to share some of the same qualities since they're both bolt-ons...

However, since they're also completely different in terms of wood and electronics, I thought it'd be a good idea to make a thread about it... to see what TB thinks. :)

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ill just go ahead and say they have always been on top as far as my favorite spectors. Euros are nice but i like natural colored bolt on USA models a lot. I think they look great, sound great, and the electronics on them i feel is a great choice. I also have always had a thing for bolt on basses, i dont know why.

5. I recently sold my NSJH5FM (flamed maple). It was a nice bass but really not my style. I've only played one rebop, but I thought my NSJH5 was brighter. I think you'd like the rebop better.

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
  7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Just for the sake of comparison, what is your style? :) What types/tones of basses do you like? (I'm guessing you prefer a Fender-ish sound, based solely on your profile.)

8. This is based on speculation rather than experience, but it sounds from your description as if perhaps one of the ash-bodied NS-JH5's might be more the tone you're looking for than the maple ones. Anybody have any experience comparing the two?

Mike

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Unfortunately, I would only be able to afford a used one, so I don't really have that option (unless an Ash-bodied JH5 pops up for sale somewhere.)

Regardless, it seems to me that Ash can be rather bright too. At least, the Ash body on my Lull seems to contribute quite a bit to its brightness.

10. I play all sorts of stuff, funk, jazz, rock. I like all sorts of basses also (modulus, spector, alembic, sadowsky etc) but what I'm doing at the moment doesn't really require spectors.

11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I have an Ash NS2J and it is fat and smooth. Unlike any other Spector I own. It doesn't have that twang. I fell in love with it so much that I ordered my JH5 EX with the spalted top and mahogany body. WOW. Smooth as all get-out. I haven't gotten mine yet but I played the exact bass at NAMM and it broke my heart not leaving with it. The US exhibit the smooth older Jazz sound with just enough bright.