1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector NS-X

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stonehamman, Mar 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Stonehamman

Stonehamman

Mar 3, 2016
    ns-x front. Hiya! I have acquired a bright red Spector NS-X bass. It was built in the Brooklyn days and designed by Ned Steinberger. Unfortunately, some of the parts were missing (scratchplate, rear covers) but they have been re-manufactured so the bass is back together and plays really well. Just waiting on replacement tuners as one of the original Schallers is slipping. Original EMG HB pickups, new old stock CTS 25k pots, original bridge and jack socket. Not sure about the control knobs but they look old. Thing is, the bass has no serial number so I'm guessing it's pre-production. Would be good to know.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2016
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!

Cool piece.

That being given said, you won't believe how many experts we have floating around. You should get some good info any time now.

How does it play/sound?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2016
  3. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas
    Post this in the Spector club and I'm sure someone would be more than happy to help out.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Nice.

I put one of those together (black) from parts I bought cheap at one of Kramer's garage sales when they were closing the Neptune NJ plant, which was a few miles from me. I later sold it on.

I think I might still have one of the necks around here someplace.

Thanks for the memory.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  5. Stonehamman

Stonehamman

Mar 3, 2016
    Well the NS-X plays frighteningly well. The original EMG active HB pickups are very quiet, interference free and have a high output. The neck is quite narrow but not so narrow as to be restrictive. I had to source some NOS CTS 25k pots for the volume and tone controls but they are significantly better than the 250k pots that were installed when I acquired the instrument. I'm trying to establish the history of this bass as it has no serial number and the best I can guess is that it was either pre-production, or else was built from left over parts after the model was discontinued.

6. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    I gave a white one to my son in law as a wedding gift. Great tone. Sounded like a cross between a classic Spector and a Steinberger. I guess due to the emgs. Great recording tone. Used it on at least one song on a comercially released cd. Mine didn't have a serial number either. I only got rid of it because of the ergonomics. Looks nice and compact, but look how far away from the end of the body the bridge is. That and the strap button being around the 19th fret made reaching for the first fret feel like trying to stretch my hand to the top of the effiel tower. And Most of my other basses are 35 inch scale!