Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector NS2000/5 and Q5 Differences

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GraffixNyc, May 3, 2004.

1. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Hey quick Question. Has anyone played both the older Spector Ns2000/5 with the neck thru and the newer Q5 with the bolt on? Besides the neck are there any other differences as far as sound or anything like that?
    I had a Q5 that was stolen but I found a place online that had the older 2000/5 it was a couple hundred dollars more then the Q5. I heard the NS2000/5 overall is a much better bass. I also have a brand new NS5CRFM Blue Stain high gloss bass waiting on lay away for me. I figured once I get that one I will use the NS/2005 as my backup bass.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a Q5. I have played the neck thru model as well. I chose to go with the Q5 because to me the neck thru model didnt seem to be ay better. Sure it had some DIFFERENCES< but they didnt make it any better , IMO. It had a little more sustain due to the neck thru-design. But the feel of the bass and for the most part the sound was the same.

3. i owned 2 ns2000/5's, 1 2000/4 and 1 2000/q4
    i liked them all EXCEPT THE Q4... the difference between the q4 and the neckthru was night and day, the q4 sounded really weak and hollow compared to the neck thru... the differences as i remember are:
    the q bolt ons are lighter
    the neck thrus have a brass nut, the q's have a plastic nut
    the q's bodies are kind of slab like and the neck thrus are more carved and ergonomic

also: how much is this bass? i think i paid 450 and 400 for my 2000/5 neck thrus... both came with hardshell cases via ebay

heres a pic of one of the 5's

4. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Ego. I got it for 779 but it's brand new not used. I have seen a few on ebay used for cheaper but I found a place that had a couple of brand new ones never out of the box. It really was a gift from my girlfriend so I didn't pay anything for it ;)

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The NS2000s have a gloss finish on the neck, the Qs have a satin finish.

6. if shes payin thats cool, i hope you enjoy the bass... i think you will like it

7. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Thanks man! I'm sure I will. and in a few weeks I'll have my brand new NS5CRFM Neck thru :hyper:

8. To my opinion the 2000/5 is better than th Q5 :
    - The sustain is greater.
    - The sound is more punch
    - the harmony table is better than Q5 .
    - the weight higher means that wood are better than Q5.

9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I bought a Q5 to back up my NS2000/5 but found I really wasn't playing it much at all, except on gigs that I didn't really care how I sounded...not that it sounded bad, it sounded GREAT! But the /5 just sounded that much better.

So after thinking about whether to sell it or upgrade it somehow, I decided to DEFRET it.

Now the playtime is 50/50 between the two...I'm getting more calls for the intimate/laid back kind of gigs in fact!

:D